All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 02:03 

I tried it for couple days. It does still hit the front rim. I did bend my knees then bring up my shot up to my eyes to elbow.
It feels weak but i did the form right.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 06:23 

I get the feeling that as you bring the ball up and your elbow is around your eye that your hand is reaching straight out to the basket rather than getting some arc on your shot.

Think about dropping the ball in the rim and how easy it would be if we could do that, well, thats the kind of arc that you need on your shot. What do you use as your target? Front - back of the rim? My target was thinking about a spot just over the rim... that worked for me, find a spot that works for you.

Lets go back to the beginning by doing what we called BEEF check B- balance E- elbow under the ball E- eye on the target and F- follow thru.
Start on one block, go to the middle and then to the other block -- take one dribble, bring the ball up with one hand and shoot it... by being that close you will be forced to put more arc on your shot AND make sure that your form is correct.

Then move back a few feet and do the same thing... keep doing this until you get comfortable with your form and the shot. The closer you are to the basket the more arc you will need on your shot. When you get to the free throw line you will need your legs in the shot and like coach A said, end up on your toes.

Try this and let us know how that is going. Here is a video from Tom Nordland and this kid can really shoot it.

1) Here is video footage of 14-year-old “Swish” shooter, recorded three years after learning the Swish Method from Tom in Maryland. To this day he and his dad continue using the tools and methods they learned, and Gavin here brilliantly demonstrates the technique. Look at the beauty of his shooting!

http://go.webvideoplayer.com/view/RHZhKYJ0tiD4Ec9CTkaW23246

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 07:15 

If you still are hitting front rim it still comes down to two factors:
1) Proper Arm extension(finishing high) 60-75 degrees
2) Not enuff power from legs

Next time you shoot, focus on your follow thru..don't even look to see if ball goes in or not....see exactly where you finish...how high is
your follow thru....elbow to ear?

You really need to generate more power from legs so bend knees even more....now begin your shooting motion. The entire shooting motion should be smooth and fluid...no pauses or hesitations...

Lastly, maybe at 5'5", you might have to jump a bit. Not recommended at the high school level but I have seen it. Maybe that 1 to 2 inch little jump will get you more arc.

Out,

Coach A

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 02:14 

Guess what, i found out that my shooting is poor because I am not tired, so if every time i
run 2 laps full court with ball then stand at FT, my shot is made in, no airball or hit the front rim. What you told me to
do was right, but i need to get tired to make my shots better. I think getting tired on my shots is good. what you think?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 06:50 

Well, think about it this way, how often do you go to the free throw line in a game where you haven't been running?

BUT, I'm not so sure that was your problem...... BUT, IF that works for you, who am I to say its wrong? Why don't you try it both ways and have someone watch you and tell you IF they can see any difference. Do you shoot with someone when you are working out? Give this a try too... shoot with your eyes closed - have a contest with someone.... I think you will suprise yourself with how well you can shoot that way, it forces you to concentrate on your form, visualizing the shot. (and while it will help you with muscle memory its fun too )

I'm glad that you have found something to help you improve your shot.

By the way, our players always shot after a few hard drills.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 01:25 

I don't often go to FT in a game. I usually does about 2 times per game, well i don't really know.
I wasn't a pretty much experienced basketball player. I have played or practice basketball just for fun since i was little, but never
know a lot in a game, like vocabulary, plays, defense, and serious. My first time i ever made my 7th grade basketball was not
a good season, i played about 1 minute per game, don't really shoot much, bad defense, and it was really hard. Then my 8th grade year, i try out the team again because i wanted to step up, understand more, turns out i didn't make the team. So i worked so hard in the summer to make 9th grade JV team. I made it, so my early season I played 3 mpg, then my coaches made me understand so, so much about almost every thing, even they taught me how do to a lay up and jump stop which i never knew.(i know crazy)Anyways, I kept going, i don't shoot much but i have the strong defense, i was really active, like a cat. When season is almost over, I played 11mpg, it was awesome. I was named "Most Improved Player of the year."

That sounds cool. I work out alone, but i have help but my uncle don't know some small details in basketball.
I actually never had a break for a long time, but i did like 2 weeks break after school finished then working on my basketball 4-6 times a week. I work out on my ball handling more than my shooting. Anyways, do you have any FT drills that i could maybe use?
plus, i am planning to take 1 month break when school starts.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 06:36 
Site Admin

Only shoot free throws well after you're tired? It sounds like you may be thinking too much. When you're tired, you're too tired to think.

Go to the the free throw line. Clear your mind. Take a deep breath and exhale.

Do your routine, then shoot. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 06:37 

There is always room for a " shut down defender " on a team.... so keep working at that.... it seems like you are beginning to understand the game better, so hang in there.

Shooting is all muscle memory .... so make sure that your FORM is correct or you will be reinforcing bad habits. Find someone who understands how to shoot to help you... as for FT shooting drills.... just shoot.... 1&1s. 5 or 10 at a time doesn't make any difference... as long as your form is good. Had one player shoot 1,000 a day every morning one summer, 10 at a time. His form was perfect and his shooting percentage was excellent that season.

As for taking some time off when school starts... not sure that is a good idea... cut back on your workouts but don't stop, especially shooting. Take a week off to give yourself a breather, but a month is a long time.

The breathing technique that Joe has suggested is great... it helps to relax the muscles and I used that with my players too.

Good luck.

Check out this video for form-
1) Here is video footage of 14-year-old “Swish” shooter, recorded three years after learning the Swish Method from Tom in Maryland. To this day he and his dad continue using the tools and methods they learned, and Gavin here brilliantly demonstrates the technique. Look at the beauty of his shooting!

http://go.webvideoplayer.com/view/RHZhKYJ0tiD4Ec9CTkaW23246

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 06:41 
Site Admin

Jeez, Coach Sars. That's a quick trigger. Hope you enjoyed Hawaii!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 06:48 

I might be old, but my reflexes are still pretty good...... you stepped on my toes - as I clicked submit, you were answering so I had to wait - but I got it in quickly, great advice Joe.

Hawaii was great... the Aloha spirit is alive and well, I met Coach Chic Hess and is wife on Oahu, nice people. Hawaii is like paradise on earth..... I hope everyone gets a chance to go there. Oahu means the "gathering place" How true..... 80% of the population lives there and a lot of people go there to visit.... everyone HAS to see Pearl Harbor, the Arizona Memorial, the Missouri an Bow Fin and Diamond Head to name a few.