All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 19:39 

Alright so I want to make my shot automatic this summer. I am a shooting guard, will be a HS sophomore next year most likely on JV, and I am a decent shooter, but I want to make my shot very good. After I work on my athletiscm for about 1 hour, I go out and do a 2 hour basketball workout. It usually consists of just 15 miuntes of ball handling and then I do a shooting workout that gets me to shoot about 450-500 shots in 1 hr and 45 minutes. It involves 200 catch and shoot 3 pointers (10 spots, 20 shots per spot). Then 60 shot fake, 1 dribble pull ups (20 from each wing and the middle), then 60 fast-break 3's (20 from middle, left wing, and right wing), then 120 screen shots (40 shots down screens, 40 shots off flare screens, 40 off of ball screens) and I 'll add free throws somewhere in there when I am tired. Then I will rest and I have off-season basketball practice for my high school in the evenings on tuesdays, thursdays, and saturday mornings. On days that I don't have practice, I will just go out and shoot stationary, getting up a lot of reps. I shoot about 750 stationary 3-pointers, which takes 2 hours. I shoot so many stationary shots because I want to make that automatic so I nearly never miss, so when the defense sticks on me, I can pump fake and pull up for the shot. also, I am mainly a 3-point spot shooter on my team, so I gotta make it automatic (also, the coach doesn't want me dribbling the ball and making moves to the basket until I am a junior). so would all this shooting significantly improve my shot? I have good form. please let me know what you guys think

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 20:00 

Mikko,

That is a hefty work out.... and IF that doesn't make you a good shooter, nothing will. I know you say that your form is good... but why don't you take 5 minutes a day and do some form shooting? Just to reinforce the fundamentals - remember that PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect..... if you are doing something wrong when taking all those shots you will be reinforcing bad habits.

Keep the form right and try to shoot at game speed as much as you can.

That is a lot of shots you are taking - are you doing this every day? Are you working out with someone? That would help you a lot... will keep it from getting boring on those days you really don't feel like working.. always nice to have someone else so that there is a challenge. Are you going to be playing any games... summer league, shootouts etc. ?

Good luck and I hope this works out for you.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 20:32 

thanks coach. I always make sure to do a little form shooting everyday to get a little bit of my touch back before shooting long range. I do the first part of the workout on monday through friday in the morning, and I do the additional shooting (the 750 shots) on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays in the evening when it cools down because I don't have practice on those days. tuesday's and thursdays I don''t do the extra 750 shots because of practice. And saturday I also have practice/open gym and I don't do a shooting workout that day, unless I am feeling really good because I rest on weekends. I probably won't be playing anymore organized games this summer unless the coach decides he wants me to come to one of the varsity team camps or tournaments, which I doubt he will. We scrimmage a lot in practice so that is where I get to play 5 on 5. and I usually like to workout by myself because it avoids distractions, and one product that TREMENDOUSLY helps me get up more shots is this http://sklz.com/basketball-ball-return-systems/rapid-fire-ball-return-system
it does have it's flaws because it doesn't catch every single shot, but it really helps me to get up a lot of shots when I don't have a rebounder.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 20:46 

I was wondering how you were getting all those shots up..... looks like an excellent tool to hep you in your shooting practice. Too bad you cant play in a few games, that usually helps you to measure your progress.

Let us know how things are going...... BTW, its always good to take a little time off here and there... everyone needs a breather - your body needs time to come back. JMO

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 20:56 

well I think that the scrimmages in practice will count as my "games" and I think that will help measure my progress. oh and I had another question. When doing my shooting workouts, where there is no defense, just me, the hoop, and the ball, what shooting precentages should I strive for in order to be able to shoot well in games, because percentages certainly will go down in games. like, what percentage should I strive for in 3-pointers, off-the-dribble, mid-range,etc.? I chart my shots and I will continue to do that to see my progress, in number of makes and also percentage.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 21:21 

45% for twos will get you 9 points with 10 shots - they say thats pretty good shooting 33% for threes will get you the same number of points.

You are going to have good days shooting and some bad ones where you cant throw the ball in the ocean from the shore. So, don't get to high and for sure DON'T get to LOW when it comes to shooting.

Set some lofty goals... once you get your stroke down... it should be easier.

Try this...... lets set a baseline and then we can set some goals for you. For the first couple of days, write down your results from mid range and threes. Then we can set a goal for you. Something you are comfortable with but where you can push yourself a little bit. OK?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010, 17:16 

OK. I have been writing down my results and from 3 pointers, I am about 50-57% (it varies). From mid-range off the dribble, I am about 65%, and from mid-range from screens, I am about 70%. so with about 2 months of shooting hundreds of shots, what do you think my goal should be by the time school begins in 2 months? and then my goal when the season starts in 4 months?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010, 17:26 

My first question is this; are you taking these shots at game speed? If not, they start at game speed and see what you can shoot % wise.

By the way, those are VERY GOOD numbers.... keep up the good work. Increase your goal by 5% for each shot. Make sure that you are shooting free throws too..... a lot of high school games are won at the line... you want to become automatic there.

I have a couple of very good free throw shooters on this team.... the point guard and the wing - watch the game, the first quarter we shot well... but down the line shooting free throws these two kids are automatic... I have so much confidence in them that I don't put anyone in the lanes.

http://www.ihigh.com/school5105/video_886382.html We are in the light colored jerseys.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 08:28 

Kid,

750 in 2 hours!! That's pretty sick!! That's a little over 6 shots per minute so you must keep busy for those two hours. Rebounder or rebounding device must help.

Try video taping your workout. Use this as a tool for analyzing your shooting form and consistency. Mount camera
on your right side, then left side and then from behind.
Check if you're squared up, proper extension, follow thru, powering up with legs, fluid shooting motion, balance, etc.

Coach Sar is correct with form shooting. Start all your workouts with one-handed form shooting from just 3 feet out. Take 25 shots from left, right and straight on.

Now bring in your balance hand.
Start with close range shots, get in a groove then move out.

Just wish my son would dedicate himself to this type of workout. He'll be a sophomore in college this fall and has shown interest in trying out for the hoop team as a walk-on.

Best of Luck Kid!!

Out,

Coach A

oh..that's right..you wanted me to rate your summer shooting workout........solid A+