All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 10:16 

i want to increase my shooting range . im an excellent shooter with proper form uptill about a foot inside the three point line. so i want to work on increasing my range without spoiling my form. thanks

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 12:57 

What age group are you? A lot of this has to do with the growing process and a lot of practice. Like you said, you don't want to mess with your form just to shoot 3s.

Start inside your comfort zone and work on making 5 in a row, then slowly work your way back, a few feet at a time. When practicing you can work your way out.... but until you can hit the three on a regular basis with correct form... stick with what you do best.

Are you stepping into your shot? A lot of the strength in a shot comes from your legs.

Without seeing your form and shot, it is hard to give advice other than general type comments.

Let us know how things are going.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 13:21 
Site Admin

Here is an article on increasing shooting range:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-range.html

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 02:21 

thanks, i'll do that. and im 14 , i do get most of my power from my legs i think.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 06:30 

Ok Pat you are a young guy so you have a lot of growing ahead of you... and you will get stronger. Joe sent you a great article, it has a lot of ideas that can help you increase your range. I'm not sure where I got the 5 in a row but I read it from another coach and it seems like a solid plan.

Start in close and then try to see if you are using your legs as you start to move out - the more you shoot the better you will become - don't forget about the rest of your game though. Ball handling / dribbling etc.

Did you play on your school team? Are you looking forward to high school and playing there? IF so, make sure you get to the high school camp, you want to make sure they know who you are and what you can do. It's a big advantage to learn some of the things they want done... and IF it comes down to 2 guys with the same abilities.... 1 went to camp and the other didn't..... who do you think they will pick? Work on your game this summer as much as you can.

As you work on this, let us know how things are going. Good luck