All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 16:50 

Hey. I saw your guys review on better shooting 2, and it encouraged me to buy it. I just watched it today, and I have a few questions about some things. It looks like the drills in the workout are mainly just for form and footwork, and they are done basically only shooting from the top of the key. These aren\'t really traditional shooting workouts, and they require on studying your form after the shot. Would you find these effective to do to become a great shooter, or should I stick with traditional shooting workouts? My form is already pretty good, but it is not as precisely perfect as the lessons that Rick Torbett gives. Do you think I should stick with these workouts, or the regular, high-repetition workouts? that is for when I recover. Now I am injured,but I still want to do shot training. In the section called \"Specific Training\", it shows ways to train shooting stroke, controlling the ball in a straight line, and training vision. Would you recommend doing these, speciffically the shot line training? would it help me, or it only helps beginners? I am a high school freshman JV bball player and I already have a pretty good shot, but I want to make it nearly automatic this offseason. would it be a waste of time to dedicate a good amount of time to shot line training? since my leg injury, I have only been doing stationary ball handling and I have been doing 50 form shots and 50 free throws every day. Would it be beneficial if I used the methods in \"specific training\"? I want to improve my shot even while I am injured. Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 09:35 

Can someone please answer this? Better yet, can Jeff or Joe answer this because I know they reviewed the product. anyways, I am thinking about ignoring this dvd and just paying attention to the Swish Method, because the shooters in the video preview look remarkable. Will the swish method help me become a great shooter in games? I have heard great things about it., so I might purchase swish 2 if it is worth it.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 10:47 
Site Admin

Sorry, we didn't mean to leave you hanging.

As for the videos, I certainly enjoy them both. Personally, I like Swish 2's view on the shooting stance. Better Shooting 2 has lots of great information as well. That's why we recommend them both.

As for your injury, it's difficult to tell you what to do. It's also difficult to tell you what to work on, because we don't see you shoot.

Here's a basic outline of what you should work on throughout the week.

Form Shooting
- Wall
- 1 Handed
- Stationary Jump Shots
- Step-In Shots

Footwork Shooting
- Front Pivot
- Inside (Reverse Pivot)
- Drop Step

Counter Shooting
- Front Pivot & Crossover Step
- Inside Pivot & Sweep
- Drop STep, Inside Pivot

1 & 2 Dribble Jump Shots if you are ready.

Position Shots (Guard & Post)
- Off of Ball Screens
- Flare Screen Shots
- Jump Hooks, Power Lay Ups, etc.

Hopefully, this will give you an idea of how to organize your workouts when you are healthy.

Don Kelbick also has some helpful articles about creating your own workouts:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/developing-a-basketball-workout-for-high-school-college-tryouts/

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/raja-bell-summer-workouts/

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/nba-player-offseason-workouts-part-2/

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 11:45 

here is a video of me shooting. I think my elbow is too far out. http://www.viddler.com/explore/kozbo32/videos/1
and what did you think of the workout on better shooting 2? It didn't seem like a traditional shooting workout with high repetition, and it seems like the workout has to be done on the top of the key. Would you find this workout efficient, or is it better to do regular, high repetition shooting workouts? I am thinking about pretty much ignoring better shooting 2 and getting swish 2 and getting the correct technique that Tom Nordland's shooters have, and then do a lot of repetion with that technique. Swish 2 looks very convincing and all the shooters "swish" the basketball so perfectly and it seems that shooting like that isn't very hard and anyone can do it.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 15:54 

Mikko.... as for your elbow being too far out.... while it is a little out as you bring the ball up.. it seems to be right under the ball as you are releasing it, you have great follow through and concentration. Looks pretty good to me. Try this with your flip drill.... go from L to L (side to side) and plant your inside foot and go into your shot.. see how that works for you.

I think Joe has given you a pretty good workout.... keep working on your form too. What grade are you going into next year? And what was last year like for you?

By the way, once you get your form right.... and you learn the moves.... then start doing them at game speed.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 16:49 

I am in 9th, going to 10th grade. I was a bench player on the freshman team this year and shooting is my strength but I want to be a much much better shooter next year so I can be more consistent, in addition to working on other areas of my game. Freshman ball didn't go too well. I was thinking that I could use the swish method to develop my technique, so I can swish shot after shot like the shooters in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6xGbsAPjs,
and then I can repeat this technique over and over again at game speed to keep improving at shooting.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 18:40 

Thanks for showing us the Video..... this looks a lot like the way George Lehman taught shooting... the BEEF method. Nice form and follow through. I looked at your form and other than the elbow out a little at the beginning of the shot..... ( AND YOU GET IT UNDER AS YOU ARE RELEASING IT WHICH IS GOOD ) everything else seems to be pretty good.
Practice, practice and more practice will make you a better shooter.... a lot of shooting plain and simple. BUT, thats not all there is to the game..... Basketball is all about quickness, while you want to improve your shooting you will have to get quicker too..... be able to handle the ball well, read the defense and pass well too.
Take the time to write down all the areas that you need to improve on..... Ball handling, passing, screening, DEFENSE, rebounding etc. Look at the guys that were playing in front of you and ask yourself.... " What areas to I have to improve upon to crack the line up. "
Did you see much playing time? If not, then work your way up to the 6-8th man so you can get some playing time next year.
What are your thoughts about the areas you need to improve upon Mikko?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 18:57 

well, we have been over this, but its been awhile. In brief, I didn't get much playing time at all. I really need to get stronger, faster, play MUCH better defense, and get quicker. being better at ball handling also would help and I really want to make my shot automatic. I do not have the Swish 2 dvd, but I have read articles by Tom Nordland and his approach he teaches is an open stance to shooting, and also he teaches that the wrist does not supply power for the shot. He says Flicking the wrist will cause inconsistent shooting. He teaches a relaxed wrist that flops. And he doesn't believe in the "elbow-in" principle. He says that when the ball is at the set point, before the shot, the ball should be in line with the shooting eye, and the hand should be in line with the basket. With this position, it is only natural that the elbow is out 4-6 inches and there is nothing we can do about that. The website is www.swish22.com if you wanted to see some of his articles. His teaches shooting differently than any other coach teaches it. and based on the video I showed, he teaches it well, and that is why I was thinking about using the Swish method to develop my form, so the ball goes consistently straight, instead of using the basic rules that everyone teaches, like elbow-in, flick your wrist, squaring up, etc.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 20:07 

My question to you is..... IS your shooting keeping you from getting playing time? While every coach wants great shooters there is a lot more to the game than that.

Like I said before, I don't think your form is bad.... your elbow gets under the ball as you are shooting it... I think you have pretty good form. IF you want to shoot better.... go back to Joe's reply and work on that. He gave you great advice.

Then work on the other parts of your game. Go to summer camp this year at your school... maybe get some personal training also.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 04:46 

Well, the things that are keeping me from playing time are that I am weak, I am pretty slow, I need to play better defense and that I have trouble when the defense is super tight on me. In those situations, I get the ball taken away, I make bad passes, and my passes are tipped away. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often. But I believe that if I make my shot automatic, I will make more of my shots in games and get more playing time, in addition to working on the things I just mentioned. I know you said my form is prettty good but I want to make shots like in that video I showed you. I want to get that technique down perfectly so I can swish shot after shot. Joe even used the Swish method: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/my-personal-experience-with-tom-nordlands-swish-method
That is why I want to get this. I want to get my stroke ingrained into my body while I am injured, so when I come back, all I have to do is reps, reps, and more reps, all at game speed, so I can make my shot automatic, in addition to working on those other areas