All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 12:59 

Hi, I've learned from this site and Tom Nordland's Swish videos that you have to adopt an open stance
with both foot turning slightly to the side of the basket.
However, in some topic forums, I keep seeing some coaches saying to square your body to the basket
while keeping an open stance.
But when I shoot with an open stance, my body isn't squared to the basket. It turns a little bit to the side because my feet and shoulders are turned to the side when they shoot.
So I want to know what the coaches mean when they say "squaring your body to the basket."
Thank you.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 14:44 
Site Admin

I’m not sure what squaring your body with an open stance means. It seems contradictory. I’m assuming that’s why you’re confused.

Whether to use a squared stance or an open stance is a very debatable topic. Personally, I believe you can become a great shooter by using either stance.

On the open stance and the squared stance, I’ve actually seen different definitions, but here is my take.

Squared stance is having both feet pointing directly at the hoop. There are two different types of square stances. One with your feet parallel. One with your feet staggered.

Open stance is having the feet pointing slightly to one side of the hoop. For example, if you are right-handed, your feet would be pointing to the left side of the rim.

You can debate this back and forth, but I know one thing that is for certain when studying the great shooters. The shoulder on the same side on your shooting side will be further forward than the opposite shoulder. Usually, this is best accomplished by an open stance or staggered squared stance. For the staggered stance, picture a right-handed shooter, the right foot would be slightly further ahead of the left foot. I do not believe in a parallel, squared stance, even though it is commonly taught.

Kobe Bryant shoots with an open stance. JJ Redick shoots with a parallel, squared stance.

However, one thing that I have noticed about JJ Redick is that he turns his body as he jumps which turns the body to an open stance.

Personally, I think players adapt to put their body in an ideal position to make the ball even if they don’t start from an ideal position like the parallel. Hence, JJ Redick turning his body as he shoots.

From personal experience, I used to shoot the ball with staggered stance. My staggered stance was slightly exaggerated when comparing it to other shooters. As a result, some of my older teammates teased me and I tried to change my shot to a squared, parallel stance with both my right foot and left foot parallel when I shoot. Combined with some other factors, my shot got worse.

Before I had changed my shot, I could regularly make 10 to 15 3s in a row unguarded in practice. The most I ever made was 25. After I changed my shot, I can’t recall making 10 in a row since.

Check out this video too on the open vs. squared stance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ejFVxQtlo

I think this topic needs an article written on it. 

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 17:35 

Sure Joe, NOW you tell me! NO wonder I didn't shoot the ball as well as MJ! LOL

I watched the Video and then went thru the motions of my shootting form..... and while we taught squaring up as we caught the pass, my stance was somewhat open as I went into the shot.... and so was my players. I watched a couple of my old games and checked a few of my good shooters out.

I watched the video you put here... and those great shooters were open stance guys... big key ( as they said in the video ) Shoulder and hip are squared to the basket ... and of course.... biggest thing... follow through and elbow pretty close to being under the ball. THIS will help to keep the shot straight and consistent.

Do I have this right now - OR am I like the 90 year old coach that one guy was talking about? You should have stuck with what was working for you. I had some kids that had the poorest form you would ever want to see..... side spin etc...... but they could fill it up. IF it aint broke don't fix it.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 20:27 

Wow, thanks for the detailed responses. I'll start adopting the open stance again tomorrow(I used it before I watched better basketball shooting).
However, one question is how much forward should your front feet go in front of the other?2 inches? 5 inches?
Thanks!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010, 05:18 
Site Admin

Once you pick a stance that is comfortable for you, be CONSISTENT. Your stance and foot alignment must be the same every time (whether its open or squared or what).

Great shooters shoot the same way every time. That's where practice, repitition, and muscle memory comes into play.

For more information about shooting you can also check out our shooting guide (it has the most in depth shooting information that I've seen out there):
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010, 09:55 

I agree with Joe, Don't worry to much about inches... find something that is comfortable for you... and then work at it. Perfect practice makes perfect... consistency builds muscle memory... and that will make you a good shooter.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 06:26 
Site Admin

I agree with Jeff and Coach Sars.

As a reference point for the staggered stance, I like to say toe to midfoot. The toes of your back foot should align with the middle of your shooting foot.

For the open stance, it would be very similar.

Like Sars & Jeff said, find something that is comfortable and gives you good balance. It doesn't have to be exactly what I mentioned.