All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 13:09 

I'm a right handed shooter and I always seem to hurt my left thumb when shooting. It feels like a cramp or arthritis. I seem to be shooting the ball with my left thumb along with my right hand, I guess it's how I always been shooting. Am I supposed to be doing that? I tried just shooting with my right hand but it feels weird like I don't have enough power. I think maybe because I'm used to shooting my way but I don't know. Please help?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 22:07 

First thing... your guide hand has nothing to do with your shot... so you need to correct that. Stand by a wall... get into a good position BALANCED position... dribble once, bring the ball up with ONE hand... (keep the other hand behind your back) and then shoot the ball off the wall.

This is how we taught shooting -
Work on your form before you start shooting. Stand by a wall and make sure your form is correct. We taught BEEF

Balance
Elbow under the ball
Eye on the target
Follow through

Hold the follow through and kind of like put your hand in a cookie jar. IF you look on this site there are several threads that have to do with shooting... take a look.

Start close to the basket and work your way out slowly - DO THIS EVERY DAY - BEFORE YOU START SHOOTING.
What age group are you playing with? Try this awhile and then let us know how you are doing.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 06:44 

I bet you are shooting the ball with both hands. The guide hand or balance hand should not extend up or forward like the shooting hand. Having your left thumb involved in your release will take away accuracy and give the ball a side spin, you always want a nice soft backspin on your release.

Like Coach Sar said, your shooting hand should extend on release with a follow thru like "cookies in the jar", your other hand will remain back on the left side of your head after the release looking like you are going to "karate chop" someone.
Start with one handed form shooting 2 feet away from hoop. Do this from 3 areas, right side(bank), left side(bank) and straight on(swish). One handed only!! Put your left arm behind your back.
Focus on your extension and follow thru, look for the backspin. Shoot
25 shots from each area. Step back a step or two and bring in your balance hand. Focus on same things but keep your left hand from going forward on release. Continue practicing this release.

Good Luck

Coach A

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 15:03 

This is great advice by the coaches. Follow their instruction and keep practicing.
Shoot one handed form shots as much as possible.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 07:32 

Coach Hayden mentioned shooting one handed form shots, which is great advice.

If you need a video demo on it, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1TP3u0bdE

This is a great drill to do before each workout and practice, especially if you are in a shooting slump!

Dan
www.innovativeathletes.com