All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 09:07 

I have a problem with my jump shot. When I take a jump shot I first bring the ball up to the top of my face(my set point), I then bend my legs, and then I rise up for the jump. Is this normal? I know that the pros don\'t do this. I noticed that they kind of start in a squatting position first and then without doing a down-and-up motion, but rather a up-motion from the squatting position, they rise up for the shot.

EDIT: Do you know how Paul Pierce is shooting free throws now? Well, it's almost like that, but instead I am adding a actual jump to it.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 09:57 

There are some shooting tips on the left side of this page that Jeff & joe have provided. Go to You Tube and search some short videos of players shooting the ball...

From the way you describe it... you are shooting by the numbers... and I don't believe that to be true...

So, as you are going to receive a pass or come off a dribble to shoot... your knees should be bent and as you bring the ball up you are going into your shot. This should be like one fluid motion.

You can do a flip drill by yourself.... flip the ball out in front of you, go to the ball, plant your inside foot as you catch the ball with your legs slightly bent, square up and go into your shot... this is all one motion.... try this and let us know if this helps.

I'm sure that some of the other coaches will have some advice for you too.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 15:37 

What I would recommend is that you start your shot in your "shot pocket". That's the area where you hold the ball prior to going into your shooting motion. The shot pocket is just a few inches above your waist, in line with your right foot and knee(if you are a righty).
This is where you start your shooting motion not near your face.
Toes pointing at hoop, body squared to hoop, right foot a couple inches in front of left (if you shoot righty), knees bent, elbow in, fingers spread wide in center of ball, small gap between ball and palm, eye on target, ball in your shot pocket.

Now you start your shooting motion. Starts with legs and knees flex upward generating upward force. Bring ball up and extend your arm up in one smooth fluid motion. Extension and release should be "elbow to ear", hold that follow-thru like your are reaching for "cookies in the jar".

Now do the above 1000 times.........

Out,

Coach A

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 11:57 

The flip drill is helpful. I think that the problem with me is that I don't bend knees before I even bring the ball to my shot pocket, so I am not so use to it being slightly lower. I can constantly knock down 10 17-footers in a row, but I feel like my shooting still needs work. Do you know the way Paul Pierce is now shooting his free throws(knees unbent)? Well, my jump shot is kind of like the way his free throws look, only except that I am a jump to it.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 12:08 

OK, try this...

Forget about making shots... go stand by a wall... work on your form.... and then follow coach As advice. Your range will be limited if you don't get your legs into your shot. (I'm trying to figure out how you can shoot without bending your knees?)

This is what they say about teaching shooting to European kids..
"the coaches over here really break down the learning process from an early age and 'assemble' the kid's shot, piece by piece, in the formative years. On some youth teams over here, every player on the team will shoot the same way, with the same style and technique. That's the result of careful teaching.

Break your shot down, get your form and footwork corrected and then --- Now do the above 1000 times.........