All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 10:15 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5aHrkdig8k

I was watching this video talking about how ray allen uses this square in the air technique to get his shot off quicker. Do u think this is quicker or the inside pivot.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 10:57 
Site Admin

Personally, I like to do what the player does best. I know very good shooters and coaches that swear by both, so I know both works. If they feel a little quick hop helps them develop rhythm, I let them. I teach the inside pivot, but I don't tell a player NOT to do a quick hop. Chris Mullin did this back in the day and he could shoot the heck out of the ball. I'm not going to tell a shooter like Chris Mullin not to quick hop.

Personally, I do a combo sometimes. When I run off down screens from the low post area to the top of the key, I have problems getting square to the hoop just using a pivot, so I use the combo of the "square in the air" and the pivot. It's basically a quick hop to get my hips turned before I placed my pivot foot down.

Also, due to some issues with my right hip, I developed some bad habits of not bending my hips enough when catch-and-shooting to my left. A "quick drop" or sometimes a "quick hop" as I pivot helps me to lower my hips & pivot .

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 10:59 
Site Admin

To address which shot is quicker, I'm sure it can depend on the person. However, I have no statistical data to back this up. I would also worry about whether you can shoot accurately one way or the other. To have a shot that is .05 seconds quicker is not worth it, if your shooting percentage drops by 20%.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 11:11 

okay thanks next time i shoot around ill try both to see which one works. But Ray Allen sure has a quick shot.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 12:47 

I just watched the video and you are right... he sure gets his shot of quickly...... IF You want to do something like this.. then remember to start in close enough so you don't ruin your form....
because this is like the jump stop into a shot.. only he is turning in the air to square up......

Start in close and work your way out... just like your regular shooting... I never advise someone to shoot farther then they can comfortably... because then they kind of "heave" it up... and their form goes out the window.. I know you will work on this ... so good luck with it and let us know how it goes. You are young enough to learn this move... but let yourself grow into it as far as the range goes.

Like Joe said, it doesn't do you any good to add a move if your shooting percentages go down.

Ken

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 12:54 

ok maybe ill try it out and if it works maybe i try it in the game if it doesnt i don't want to mess my shot up.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 15:37 
Site Admin

Mike Lee has a great explanation on his blog: http://mikeleebasketball.com/blog/mike-lees-thoughts/1-2-step-versus-square-in-the-air/

"A few years ago I was working Five-Star and got involved in a discussion regarding footwork off the catch and off the dribble. For a few years I went back and forth between the 1-2 step and slide stop until about a year ago I decided that players need to know both. Here is why: the quickest way to stop off the dribble is a stride stop. Almost always the quickest way to get squared to the basket off the catch is by using a slide stop. While I do agree that a 1-2 step is quicker than a jump stop, a slide stop is not a jump stop. It is a short, low to the ground slide to square your feet. The best term to describe this concept is “square in the air”.

The argument I heard for 20 years was that “you should use a 1-2 step so that your feet are the same every time”. Well what about the situation where you need to get a shot off and the quickest way is “square in the air”? Do you teach your kids to play comfortable or to be as quick as possible without hurrying? You need to train your feet to play in specific situations.

Quickest Way to get perfect feet off the dribble…
Stride Stop: 1-2 Step off the Dribble
Situation: You are driving hard to the bucket with the defender on your hip or out of the triple threat.

Quickest Way to get perfect feet off the catch…
Slide Stop: A short, low to the ground slide to square to get “10 Toes to the Rim”
1. Situation: Coming off a stagger or anytime you need to square to the rim
2. Situation: Off a post kick out, dribble fill, middle wrap or baseline drift

A great example of the slide stop is Eddie House from the Boston Celtics. He has one of the quickest releases of any player in the League."

Please remember that a slide stop is not the traditional jump stop. If you are jumping too far off the floor to “square in the air” it will be slower than the 1-2 step.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 16:41 

Ok that makes sense thanks a lot.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 20:20 

Great info Joe-

This is a great explanation Ben.... and I understand his philosophy about this.. but remember, guys that are doing this are the BEST of the BEST ..... GREAT athletes. (I'm not saying that you shouldn't try this - I'm just saying to start off slowly)

You seem like a guy that when he wants to do something.. you are going to work at it.. and thats fine.... see if it fits in your style right now and IF you find out that you like it... you can work on it a little every day and use it AFTER you are comfortable doing it.

I always taught the 1-2 step and the jump stop in the lane or short distances... I felt that the 1-2 step gave us better body control.. the jump stop allowed us to get under control after penetrating and make a decision without rushing it.. avoiding a turnover. Let us know how this works out for you.

Ken

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 20:35 

ok just started working on it today when I was shooting.