All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 04:56 

I play a center/power forward "big guy" role in my school 14A's team. I've been conditioning a bit in the gym and extended my range to the 3 pointer with accurate set shot form. However, after my successful shooting 3 pointers, I find that I lost the complete feeling of the ball. I find that my shots are either flat and hard with no spin, or so high that it resulted in a perfect airball. When I shot a three everything was good, but when I started close range I lost the feeling. My original shooting was okay, and if I focused enough on the ring I could get it in 70% of the time inside the 3 line. What had i done wrong?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 08:34 

From a previous post I know you are 13. Concentrate on your shooting form inside the arc. You play the 4 and 5 spot so don't focus your valuable practice time on launching 3's.
Shooting beyond the arc changes your shooting form. You use more legs to give more upward thrust and your arm extension goes more forward than upward for the ball to reach the increased distance.
So shooting a lot of 3's will change your form when you get inside the arc.

Start with one handed form shooting from a couple feet away. Focus on your form, balance, elbow in, "elbow to ear" extension and follow thru. Hold that follow thru until ball goes in or hits rim. Look at your rotation...should be a nice slow backspin.

Now bring in your guide hand and repeat.
Do this every day...starting in with close shots then moving out a couple feet. Do not move out until you are draining these close shots......this builds confidence. Always focus on your form.

Remember....the 3 ball can wait!!

Good Luck

Coach A

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 08:37 

I would suggest that you start closer to the basket and work your way out... be comfortable and don't compromise your shooting form.
We know that every kid wants to shoot the three... but you have to be comfortable out there... not forcing the shot up so to speak, which is what it sounds like from the way you describe it.

Here is something that I had sent earlier that I think can help you. I did this with my Varsity Boys and all the shooting camps we ran, even with very young kids.. 4-5th graders.

We started with BEEF and BEEF Check every day...
Balance - Elbow under the ball - Eye on the target - and Follow through.

We had our players take one dribble (with their non shooting hand behind their backs) and bring the ball up to the shooting position... this forces the hand and elbow to be under the ball. Then they would focus on the target, bring the ball up and shoot holding the follow through. We did this from the left - middle and right.... and moved their way out a little bit... THEN we did the same thing allowing the guide hand to be along side the ball WITHOUT touching it... (same procedure) after that we allowed them to have the guide hand on the ball.
By the way, kids can practice this against a wall to correct flaws in their shots.

Here is something I got from Randy Brown:

1. Good Shooters spend time each day on proper shooting technique. Good Shooters use a chair to "form shoot" for 10 minutes before taking their first shot at the basket.
Poor Shooters spend time on their shooting technique when they "have time." Poor Shooters grab a ball and go the the three point line to begin launching shots.

2. Good Shooters work on moving without the ball and "prepare" the shoot the ball before ever catching it.
Poor Shooters watch for the ball to be passed to them, then think about getting a shot off.

3. Good Shooters start close to the basket and make 5 straight before moving back.
Poor shooters shoot from all areas of the floor "hoping to make it."

4. Good Shooters study other good shooters and follow their habits
Poor Shooters shoot the ball the same way without any help from others.

5. Good Shooters study the path of the ball and where the ball hits the rim. They make adjustments based on where the ball hits the rim; long/short, right/ left.
Poor Shooters judge their shooting accuracy solely on whether the ball goes in or not.

6. Good Shooters square up to the basket before shooing, called "Ten Toes."
Poor Shooters are not concerned with alignment they just want to quickly get their shot off.

7. Good Shooters shoot from an athletic position known as Triple Threat position. One quick movement from triple threat produces a solid shot.
Poor Shooters catch the ball in an upright position then take time to bend their knees before shooting. Poor Shooters do not play in triple threat.

8. Good Shooters use their whole body to shoot the shot. They know that their LEGS make shots with good form.
Poor shooters shoot the ball with their upper body only and throw the ball at the basket instead of shooting it.

9. Good Shooters follow through consistently by "throwing their hand into the basket."
Poor Shooters are inconsistent in their follow through resulting in inconsistent results.

10. Good Shooters understand the importance of BALANCE before, during and after the shot! The feet are always under their head.
Poor Shooters shoot off balance from all different kinds of angles. Their feet are rarely under their head.

How many of these describe YOU as a shooter?

Your goal is to accomplish all 10 of the "Good Shooter" characteristics as you grow and develop as a basketball player.

What is your score out of 10 and how badly do you want to be a Good Shooter?
(See #1)

Good luck,
Ken

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 19:56 

Yeah... I think I've rushed the 3 pointers a bit too much... I'll try and do what you guys said... it should get me back on track again.

Thanks,

Glanden

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 21:29 

I hope so Glanden.... be patient with yourself and remember, work to get open and let the shot find you.

Ken

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 17:42 

yes... i played a bit of ball after my last post and i do find my shot back a bit again... it's going back high with a bit of backspin too, and I find it back on target again.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 22:49 

Keep up the good work and remember... PERFECT practice makes perfect.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 21:37 

I had a few shots just then... I feel alot more... relaxed and on target... got about 80% in if I concentrated enough, which is better than before.

I guess it's just a transition in my shooting.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 21:44 

So you are seeing some improvement now... thats a good thing.... You are a young guy, you're only going to get better if you continue to work on it....

Have fun and enjoy the game.

Ken

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 21:45 

Thanks Ken...