All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 22:44 

Hi, I have a question about shooting. Whenever I shoot the ball, many people say my hand starts to the side of the ball before I roll it to the right position when starting my shot. I have tried to fix this but I am still having trouble. Do you have any tips?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 07:20 

Yep..sounds like you are sliding your hand as you begin your shot.

It's important to have that shooting hand in the center of the ball when you shoot. When you catch, square and get into a triple threat position you want that hand already in the center of the ball and in a position to shoot, having the hand ready and in your "shooting pocket" is essential for proper shooting form and allowing to get your shot off.

I think you better start with simple and basic stationary one hand form shooting. Using only your shooting hand and remembering to keep everything in line you take these shots just a couple feet from the hoop. Ensure your hand is in center of ball, the air nozzle of the ball should be between your index and middle finger. Your hand should be spread wide but relaxed.

Take 50 or so shots focusing on your hand location, elbow in, extension (elbow to ear), form, rotation and follow thru.
Progress to letting your other hand (guide hand) to hold and stabliize the ball....again focus on the above guidelines.

Progress to shooting in motion. If you don't have a partner, throw the ball out with a 2 handed, underhanded toss with backspin and run to it for a catch-n-shoot. Again...focus on your hand location as you do this. It may many many repetitions....1,000 or so to break you of sliding your hand during a shot.
Progress to shooting off the dribble. Mentally focus on your hand being in the center of the ball before you go into your shooting motion.

Check on this post often because there are many great shooting experts on this site who will help you even more than what I suggested...

Good Luck

Coach A

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 09:01 

Great Post Coach A--

I think that most of us are saying pretty much the same thing in a different way.....

We started with BEEF and BEEF Check every day...
Balance - Elbow under the ball - Eye on the target - and Follow through.

We had our players take one dribble (with their non shooting hand behind their backs) and bring the ball up to the shooting position... this forces the hand and elbow to be under the ball. Then they would focus on the target, bring the ball up and shoot holding the follow through. We did this from the left - middle and right.... and moved their way out a little bit... THEN we did the same thing allowing the guide hand to be along side the ball WITHOUT touching it... (same procedure) after that we allowed them to have the guide hand on the ball.
By the way, kids can practice this against a wall to correct flaws in their shots.

Here is something I got from Randy Brown:

1. Good Shooters spend time each day on proper shooting technique. Good Shooters use a chair to "form shoot" for 10 minutes before taking their first shot at the basket.
Poor Shooters spend time on their shooting technique when they "have time." Poor Shooters grab a ball and go the the three point line to begin launching shots.

2. Good Shooters work on moving without the ball and "prepare" the shoot the ball before ever catching it.
Poor Shooters watch for the ball to be passed to them, then think about getting a shot off.

3. Good Shooters start close to the basket and make 5 straight before moving back.
Poor shooters shoot from all areas of the floor "hoping to make it."

4. Good Shooters study other good shooters and follow their habits
Poor Shooters shoot the ball the same way without any help from others.

5. Good Shooters study the path of the ball and where the ball hits the rim. They make adjustments based on where the ball hits the rim; long/short, right/ left.
Poor Shooters judge their shooting accuracy solely on whether the ball goes in or not.

6. Good Shooters square up to the basket before shooing, called "Ten Toes."
Poor Shooters are not concerned with alignment they just want to quickly get their shot off.

7. Good Shooters shoot from an athletic position known as Triple Threat position. One quick movement from triple threat produces a solid shot.
Poor Shooters catch the ball in an upright position then take time to bend their knees before shooting. Poor Shooters do not play in triple threat.

8. Good Shooters use their whole body to shoot the shot. They know that their LEGS make shots with good form.
Poor shooters shoot the ball with their upper body only and throw the ball at the basket instead of shooting it.

9. Good Shooters follow through consistently by "throwing their hand into the basket."
Poor Shooters are inconsistent in their follow through resulting in inconsistent results.

10. Good Shooters understand the importance of BALANCE before, during and after the shot! The feet are always under their head.
Poor Shooters shoot off balance from all different kinds of angles. Their feet are rarely under their head.

How many of these describe YOU as a shooter?

Your goal is to accomplish all 10 of the "Good Shooter" characteristics as you grow and develop as a basketball player.

What is your score out of 10 and how badly do you want to be a Good Shooter?
(See #1)

Good luck,
Ken