All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 18:01 

During practice I was recently told by one of my teammates that I kept releasing the ball off of my two middle fingers. When I used to have a trainer, I was taught to use my index and middle. I'm in a lil bit of a slump. Most of you will probably say this is mental issue. Which is the proper way to have the ball come off of your fingers?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 18:50 

The first thing I would ask you is... are you doing all the other things correctly?

Are you under control..... BALANCED
Do you have your elbow under the ball
Are you holding the follow through

Are you squared up to the basket when you are releasing the ball?

I would think that IF you are doing all these things the fingers part would take care of itself. Is the shot long or short.. off to one side? Every player goes into a slump from time to time... get to the free throw line and check your form and go from there.

Let us know the answer to those questions.
Good luck

Here is a quote to help you keep things in perspective...

"Keep your sense of humor. There's enough stress in the rest of your life
to let bad shots ruin a game you're supposed to enjoy."
Amy Alcott

Ken

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 20:04 

I'm a very fundamental shooter. My follow through is good, I'm balanced for the most part. On occasions I'll fade without noticing. I made sure my elbow was underneath the basketball at a young age so as far as I know it's still under. I think also my feet aren't set up right, but I was just curious to if it had a difference on which part of the hand it came off of.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 20:37 

Not being able to see your shot.. its hard to say... explain what you mean by your feet not being right?? When you fade to one side or the other the ball will have a tendency to go that way also.

Is your shot short, long, or to one side or the other?

When you practice shooting free throws what is happening?
You might try doing a little BEEF check before every practice and see if you can correct your the shot... use only one hand.