All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 22:41 

Does anyone have tips on fadeaways drills or maybe even mindset training. As im younger than the rest of the people in my comp, i will need to be able to make space. Im 5 foot 10 inches going into a senior basketball high school team. Any tips?
I also need to practice getting shots off with my weak hand. Like layups and probably even shots. Any tips for that?
I also need help with form training. I've shot thousands of shots and still dont seem to be comfortable with my shot.
Thank you,
Tane

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 06:57 
Site Admin

There is a lot to unpack here and probably challenging to address in text via this forum....

As Tim Schuring explains in his video series, you want to become a 3 Dimensional Scorer. Score outside, score midrange, and score at the basket. 3 things.... You need to be able to score from the perimeter (outside shot). If that's taken away, be able to score off the bounce in the midrange (puill up jumper or floater) and score at the basket (basic layup or finishing move).

1) To score as an undersized player, it's extremely helpful to start with the outside shot. If you can hit outside 3pt shots, that opens up driving opportunities to score at the basket or via midrange game (pull up jumper of floater). You want accuracy and both quick release. To develop a quick release, prepare before the ball gets to you... get your feet ready, knees bent, and hands up.... then go right into your shot with no wasted movements.

To improve accuracy, you need to shoot the same over and over. Entire books and videos have been written about this subject... so I can't go into all the details here. If you need recommendations on good books, videos, or possibly get a trainer working with you, let me know.

2) If the outside shot is taken away, attack the basket for a lay up or finishing move. The basic shoulder finish is a great way to score at the basket. Go into the bigger defender and then finish over your outside shoulder. This takes lots of practice with right and left hand. Jim Huber calls this a "jump hook finish" but you can see it at 1:30 mark of this video:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/hip-pocket-finishing.html

3) If attacking the basket and the help defenders are walled up at the basket you can go to midrange jump shot. Or possibly a floater if you spend a lot of time perfecting that.

It takes a lot of work to develop into a 3 dimensional scorer. Yes there are step back jumpers and lots of moves to create space off the dribble, but above is a more fundamentally sound way to score and fit into a team setting. If you go through the legs 10 times and do a step back jumper a couple times down the court without passing, you might find yourself on the bench all season. Coaches want "team" players that are fundamentally sound instead of "flashy".

If you need any resources to help in these areas, let me know. Pick a few things to get really good at them,. Don't try to perfect too many moves. Get really good at a few things first. Then maybe you can add more after you are great at those small set of things.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 19:50 

Thank you, but I'm still not sure about fade-away's as i always feel off balance when I'm shooting.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 05:16 
Site Admin

In most cases, I tell players NOT to shoot fade aways. You are off balance and those are tough shots to make. Stick with the fundamentally sound scoring options I gave you above. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 20:35 

Ok, thanks.