All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 14:00 

Hello everybody,

First of all, congrats on this amazing site. I'm Brazilian and a reader for a while. I'm a veteran (33 year old) player who played in high school and got back into it 3 years ago - currently playing pick up games and running a team with other dudes my age.

I was once a deadly shooter, but years away from the game have taken a lot away from my shooting. Over time as I got back into it, I managed to develop into a serviceable shooter again - above average for the amateur level I play in, but streaky and inconsistent. Lights out one game, 1 for 9 the other.

My shooting form has always been good. I'm using a random internet pic below to illustrate it: I have a two motion shot - from the shot pocket to just above my forehead, to the basket. My elbow is positioned pretty close to 90 degrees, just like in the middle position in the picture below.

The thing is, I've been finding more sucess and consistency, particularly from the 3pt line, If I bend my elbow just a tad more - like the shot in the left in the same pic. I've been getting more arc, more spin and a better follow through.

My question is: is it ok for me to experience a bit with this tweak to my form? Is it technically wrong? What about keeping my regular form from mid range, but bending the elbow a bit more from behind the arc? Any tips will be much appreciated!

Attachments:
shot.jpg
shot.jpg [ 43.6 KiB | Viewed 18323 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 09:06 
Site Admin

If a small tweak gives you better results, stick with it. But I'd be careful about changing too much. It can be fools gold.

The key to great shooting is:
- shoot the same teachnique every time (consistent feet, elbow position, following through, etc). you want it to always be the same. If you watch NBA you see 50 different techniques for great shooters. But those players always shoot the same.
- practice consistently almost every day

So I'm not too worried about things being "technically correct". Shoot the same every time and practice consistently (ex: 3-6 days a week).