All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 20:51 

I had one question about shooting drills that has been bothering me for a long time. When it comes to, "How do I improve my 3-point shots or how do I get out of a shooting slump," many people say to practice and take many shots close to basket and gradually move back until the three point line.

However, when closer to the basket you have to shoot the ball with less force. When shooting from the 3-point line you have to apply greater force in your shot so the ball can reach the basket.

1. How do I master how much force I have to apply in my shot depending on where I'm shooting from? Whenever I shoot 3's I either apply too much force or too little and it results in air ball. Rarely I get my shots in. How do I master how much force to apply? Please help!!

2. How does shooting close to the basket help improve you 3-point shooting when the force applied close to the basket differs from when you are behind the arc??

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 06:50 
Site Admin

Develop workouts that cover all the bases...

- Start close to basket working on shooting form and good muscle memory
- Then practice some easy shots (6-15 ft depends on your age and strength)... getting a rhythm and confidence.
- Add in some footwork by doing something like 5/5/5 shooting drill. You could skip this on some days or do this instead of previous drill.
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/555-shooting.html
- Work your way back. There are lots of different ways to do this. This helps you develop proper touch and figure out how much force to use. You could shoot 8-10 shots from 10 ft, then 12 feet, 14 ft. and so on. Or you can shoot 2 shots, move back until reaching your range. Then shoot 2 shots and move forward. Of you can move back one step every time you make two in a row... and move forward every time you miss two in a row.
- Practice random shots... different location and distance on every shot. This is what a game is really like... shooting different types of shots every time down the court. So be sure to practice random shooting every time. This also helps develop distance control.

So the key is to have a shooting workout that gives you a balance of inside and outside shots. Sometimes you need to stay inside and slowly work your way out to develop confidence. But eventually you need to include random game shots.

By continually practicing (3-6 days a week... taking 100-500 shots each practice) and practice different ranges... your body will subconsciously figure out how to use correct force. Takes lots of consistent practice for many months and years.

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 06:55 
Site Admin

BTW. A typical workout for us looks like:

- Form shooting close to basket. 20 perfect shots (swish or grase back of rim)

- Rhythm shooting... 10-15 ft shots.... 20-50 reps.

- 5/5/5 shooting.

- Game like shooting drills (catch and shoot)... random or incorporate some type of cutting action.

- Shooting off the dribble. Game like shots off the dribble.