All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 15:16 

Hello coaches! I want to ask about backspin on shots.

My shot does not have much backspin (at least, when I see the ball leave my hands and in the air). One of my friends has barely any backspin at all. And other people I see shoot, the backspin could make you dizzy!

What I'm asking is, how important to your shot is the backspin?

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 15:23 

Ball rotation (or backspin) is an important component of a shot. Without seeing your shot, it is difficult to give you some pointers. Could be the ball isn't coming off the middle and index fingers. Could be your off hand is too tight or improperly positioned.

Take a look at the pointers in this link to see if there are some basics you might need to work on:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting/5-shooting-mistakes.html

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 08:45 

If you've ever heard an announcer or someone else use the phrase "shooter's touch" or "he got a friendly bounce on that shot" or something to that effect, they are most likely talking saying that because the shot had good backspin.

A visual example I use to show players the importance of backspin is the toss the ball out in front of me with no backspin. The ball will hit the ground and continue bouncing in whichever way I tossed it. That's a shot with no backspin. If you don't swish it, it's going to hit the rim and proceed to the backboard with some strength, usually causing the shot to miss hard.

Then I'll throw the ball out in the same direction but put a little backspin on it. The ball will hit the ground and usually take a "straight" bounce right up into the air above where it landed. When a shot like this hits the rim, it has a better chance of bouncing straight up softer than a shot with no backspin and coming back down on the rim again and/or dropping into the hoop.

I'm sure there's some sort of science behind this happening the way it does, but that's beyond me.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 09:07 

Dug around a bit and found this vid that might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVz6cGUlTcA