All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 17:34 

I have questions regarding thoughts on using leg power efficiently. Would a way off doing that be extending your elbow as you're jumping off the ground? Also I have bits of information I'd like you to try and dissect for me.

“When you shoot from distance, or off-balance, you still have a rhythm, so there’s still a push into the floor, your body going up with energy, and releasing the ball with that energy,” -Steve Nash. I'm trying to have the power from my lower body flow into my release, similar to Steph Curry and Steve Nash.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 16:55 

Christianb28,

I would agree with your description of the elbow extending as you're jumping. It's not fully extended until the release, but in the process as the jumping action takes place.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 23:21 

Also Mr. Penny, could you dissect that quote from Steve Nash because I believe Steve Nash and Steph share some similarities in shooting when it comes to maximizing the power of their lower body even though that don't elevate much

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 14:02 

Christianb28,

Nash and Curry are very similar in their shooting styles in that they both have incredible rhythm and timing. As they jump, energy travels up the Shot Line without interruption...path of least resistance in terms of physics.

Think of a surfer waiting to catch a wave. He/she waits patiently to jump up on the board as the wave approaches. Once it hits, they are propelled effortlessly toward the shore. Jump on the board too soon and they go no where. Jump on the board too late and they miss the power of the wave. Timing is crucial.

That's similar to Nash and Curry in that the energy travelling up the Shot Line catches the ball and propels it to the basket. It's done with little to no resistance and with great efficiency. They don't have to jump high, just quick, because the timing they employ provides sufficient power.

How they accomplish this is another topic for another day.

Rick Penny
Shooting Coach
http://www.onemotionbasketball.com

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 14:18 

How do they accomplish that efficiency in your eyes?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 14:24 

Christianb28,

It's very hard to fully explain what Curry and Nash do in this format, but I'll do my best.

Most shooters "Dip" the ball to thigh level before starting their shooting motion and when the shot starts, the ball loops up and back to somewhere above their head. At that point, the ball stops and then starts again toward the basket.

Curry and Nash "Dip", but generally start the ball at waist level. When they loop it up and back, it only goes to their forehead area and instead of stopping above their head, it continues toward the basket with little to no pause. I believe Curry has no pause with Nash having just a little. By doing this, momentum easily travels up the Shot Line thereby giving them more power and greater timing.

Rick Penny
Shooting Coach

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 21:58 

I ran across this in the Breakthrough Basketball's Shooting PDF. I am curious as to what your response would be. Also is there a way to visually demonstrate this? " As you begin your shot
motion, you will dip slightly with your legs, but your arms should move up to your set point
without any dip. " Also what is your opinion on this and how to accomplish this? "Additionally, your power to shoot from a distance comes from capturing the force generated by your legs."

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 11:10 

Christianb28,

The link below is from the Rick Penny One Motion Shooting Forum. The topic is "Core Principle of One Motion" which deals with your question about the ball rising as the knees bend. It also has a YouTube link demonstrating how this takes place without having to dip the ball first.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1761

Rick Penny
One Motion Shooting