All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 13:56 

How do you learn to shoot dead straight into the basket. How do you aim the shot? I\'ve learn from someone that I should shoot with the ball coming off the index and middle fingers last. Is it correct? How do I achieve a good aiming of my shot. Pls explain it to me. Thx!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 15:02 

This is how we taught shooting.... BEEF method from George Lehman..

Balance
Eye on the target
Elbow under the ball
Follow through

You need to be balanced first.. otherwise your accuracy will not be there... keep your eye on the target and your elbow under the ball..... get some lift in your shot and HOLD your follow through... your hand should look like you are reaching in a cookie jar. ( hand over the front of the rim )

You need to pick out a target...... mine was just over the front of the rim, don't ask me why, thats what worked for me....

Once you get the form down... its all about practice.... start from up close and work your way back but keep your form the same. By the way.... DON'T AIM YOUR SHOT... SHOOT THE BALL.

Ken

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 12:10 
Site Admin

Check out these articles for proper shooting technique:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-technique.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting.html

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2009, 13:01 

It's interesting that you ask how to aim a shot.

There is no aiming in shooting. Aiming implies you have time, time to actually aim, calibrate, measure and then shoot. This time does not exist in basketball. Here's how we approach it.

The proper mechanics must become 2nd nature 1st and foremost. There are 100 different approaches to this using all different types of acronyms (BEEF and others) and drills. In short:

1. Shooting elbow is generally directly beneath ball, 90 degrees if possible.
2 Ball rests squarely in the center of the palm. Many young players position the ball to the side of their shooting hand, meaning the rotatation will be off when they pull the trigger.
3. The ball should rest FULLY in the palm, no cupping into the finger tips. As the ball is released of course the ball ventures up the fingers leaving the shooting hand last touching the 2nd, 3rd and sometimes the 4th finger at release. There should be almost NO SPACE between the ball and palm as the player initiates his stroke.

We get approx. 400-500 shooting repetitions in a 1 hour shooting clinic. Approx. 1/2 these reps DO NOT INCLUDE A BASKET. The only way to build these proper mechanics is through sheer repetition.

Now that this is explained, we can describe that great shooters shoot with their feet. The feet must be ready for the player to get the shot off, as there is generally no time to aim or even think. Use of the proper footwork is another topic altogether. In short, the player must learn to employ use of his inside pivot foot when shooting off the dribble AND also understand how to JUMP TO THE BALL, CATCH AND SHOOT as required. These are different sKIlls. I'd be happy to explain further if need be.

GOOD LUCK!

www.MyBasketballBasics.com

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 17:03 

I got this from Glenn Wilkes:

I saw these important jump shot fundamentals that I wanted
to share with you:

1. The jump shot starts with good BALANCE.

2. Concentrate the eyes on the TARGET.

3. Keep the elbow almost under the ball and in line with
the target.

4. Bend the legs for POWER. Never leave the legs out of
the shot.

5. Shoot the ball with the proper ARC. Do not be a "line-
drive" shooter.

6. Develop a QUICK RELEASE.

7. FOLLOW THROUGH!

I would suggest using these tips in an attractive poster
and posting where your players can see them daily.

Ken

--