All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 17:14 

hey guys, i thought maybe i will get help here, i have some questions and help needed.
i have a low release set shot, i can get it off in games beacuse game time i shoot real quick, practice wise i can make shots and pretty good streaks like i once made 50 fts in a row and 17 threes in a row, but my shot is very very inconsistent, i miss to left and right, here is the video i thought maybe you guys could give me some tips to get consistency more?
i think my elbow is a big problem, i tryed putting it in but it flares out all the time and i cant find the reason why - maybe you got tips for it? also, in followthouguh its best to keep 4 fingers pointing to the floor or other one? thanks alot for the help and sorry to bother you all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_G3VjU64UA

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 10:31 
Site Admin

Do you know what your shooting percentages are during league games? 3-point shots? 2-point shots? Free throws?

Has a coach told you anything about your shot previously?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 11:03 

hey, thanks for your comment, coach dosent tell much as i play for fun in the league, there is 5 divisions and i play 3rd, its more like semi-pro and coach dosent care how i shot, i make it alot but alot of times i get some idiotic airballs and stuff,, shot is very inconsistent and i miss all over the place sometimes, even in practice, so i thought maybe there is some tips i can get from the video to get more consistent, i know there is shooters with low release like steve nash, kevin martin, rj hunter, jeff teague so i guess the low release its not the problem, but something else is..

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 09:23 

I have to tell you, that what I saw in that tape, your release doesn't look THAT low.

I always teach my players to self-assess their shots.

Short: Not enough knee bend and leg power.
Long: follow through. Ball off the middle and forefinger last, and accentuate that downstroke.
Left to Right lean: Could be leaning left or right, more often it is either a slight cross of the arm in front of the body that needs to be straightened out, or on the release, the hand is tilting to the side, which means there is extra English being put on the ball on the release that is pushing it slightly left or right.

The other thing I constantly talk to my players about is eyes on the rim. I ask my players to (and there are NUMEROUS philosophies on this) have their eyes on the net notch closest to where they are shooting from and seek to drop the ball over it.

Airballs I think are often the result of short-arming a shot because it looks closer than it is. Always make sure the arm is straight on release, and follow through consistent.

I'm just spitballing ideas here, but your form doesn't look that bad, I've seen numerous forms that need a lot more work.

Just my opinion.

Brian Sass