All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 10:07 

Hi,
i purchased the breakthrough shooting ebook some time ago, it has helped my shooting a lot, thanks so much for your great product!
Have a doubt about hand placement during game speed, should we always strive to place the seams of the ball perpendicular with the fingers of the shooting hand? I have been trying to do it during games but sometimes i feel it really slows down my shot.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015, 15:22 
Site Admin

I've heard some coaches say "always find the seams." I've heard some coaches say not to worry about it.

I wouldn't think about doing it during games. If it's something you want to continue to do... do it during practice. Then when it becomes a habit, you won't even have to think about doing it.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015, 16:14 

I think it would be nearly impossible to try and line your hands up with the seams on shots during a game (except FTs). The better the competition, the quicker you'll need to get your shot off. Like Joe mentioned, practicing that way turns into habit so you're not even thinking about hand placement when shooting during games.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015, 18:55 

Thanks Coaches Joe and Rob for your replies!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2015, 15:43 

I would not try to always find the seems. It seems like it wouldn't take long to roll the ball to fingertips-seams on the catch, but sometimes that can be the difference between getting your shot away clean, and being challenged. A quick release in my mind means shooting no matter where the actual placement of the ball is in your hands. Be able to shoot from both seams and leather, and try to shoot without rolling the ball into position on your fingers.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2015, 09:37 

Thanks for your help! In games i won´t worry any more to place the seams perpendicular with the shooting hand fingers, except in freethrows. i like the option given by coaches Joe and Rob of seaming the ball during practice to form a habit of placing the hands the same way but shooting as received during games, i´ll try that and see the results, if that doesn´t work for me i´ll stop aligning the ball even during practice.