All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 02:36 

When I play basketball and have a good shooting half, on the 2nd half those who defend me would often clap quickly or make a quick sound that seems to throw my shot off. My mechanics are okay according to the coach and so is my release. It appears that it just distracts me even when I seem to be able to white out the noise.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 18:02 

Not sure there's an easy answer for this one other than practice with a friend and have them bring an air horn. ASU has taken the whole distraction thing to a new level, so by the time you're in college who knows what will be out there.

In all seriousness, it wouldn't hurt to have someone make noise or clap when you shoot once in a while so you get used to it. It's similar to when we practice and bump/slap the players coming in for layups. We want them to expect contact and make the layup anyway.

On a side note, if I was coaching the kid defending you, I'd be getting on him for clapping. I want him to close out properly and get a hand up in your face. If your opponent has time to clap, they aren't defending you properly.