All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 11:53 

hi,
my coach says my form is perfect but i only shoot about 20 percent. How can i change this??
(in practice we dont have a lot of time to practice shooting, we especially train on running offenses and defenses so... and i'm playing bball for 2 years now)

another question: when i'm within 15 feet of the basket and i shoot (still 20 percent) i never stretch out my arm completely because everytime i do i shoot to hard and misses the shot, what can i do about this?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 12:40 

Robert,
This is hard to say since we cant see your shot... We taught shooting this way.... BEEF

Balance
Eye on the target
Elbow under the ball
Follow through

I'm not sure about your form... so I have to take your word for that...except, you are telling us that you don't extend your arm... when you are shooting... following through... think about putting your hand in the cookie jar... or over the rim.... that means you have to have some lift in your shot.. as you go into your shot you should have a WINDOW... a spot where you can see the basket...keep going up and release the ball at the top and stick your hand in the rim so to speak. HOLD that follow through until the ball goes into the basket.

You don't tell us HOW you are missing.. off to one side.. short or long... we need to know that too. The rest comes from practice... you need to find a time and place to practice your shot IF you are NOT getting enough shooting time in practice.

Ken

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 12:50 

well from the elbow's and closer to the basket (within 15feet) i shoot to long, but from up front (further then 15 feet) i shoot usually shoot to the right a little (sometimes to the left)

thanks for the help/ tip

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 12:58 

What is your target when you shoot? Mine was just over the front of the rim... Why? I don't know, it just worked for me. If your target is the back of the rim... change it to just over the front. Try to get some more lift in your shot also.

As for missing right or left... try what I suggested before... putting your hand in the cookie jar (just over the rim) and then HOLD that position.
That should help you in keeping the ball straight on target... your elbow might be going out somewhat BUT if you put your hand over the rim.. that should keep the ball straight.

You should be finishing up with your body squared up to the basket also.

Do you think you are doing these things? By the way, what age level are you playing at?

Ken

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 09:36 

i'm playing in a league boys up to 18 (im from europe) i think you could compare that with 10th/11th/12th graders.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 10:12 

OK, at that age strength for the shot shouldn't be a problem... did you look at what I said about your target? Any thoughts there? Are you doing those things or ???
Give me some more feedback and maybe I can help you with your shot... its not easy when I cant see it. So, we will do the best we can.

Ken

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 09:23 

i had a match yesterday, i had 2 perfect shots by the BEEF method, squared up to the basket putted my hand in the cookie jar.
but normally i have 1,2 or 3 perfect shots and after that it starts to...collapse...it gets less.
but i play as a center and get a lot of mid range shot oppurtunitys which i dont take. also because i know im better on the inside

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 10:46 

This is all about muscle memory .... keep praticing it until it becomes second nature. I'm glad to see that you had some success.... you should be happy with that. What is probably happening is... when things get a little hectic you are reverting back to your old form.

SO, stick with it, keep practicing and it WILL get better. By the way, stick to your strengths and you will be more successful... when you are practicing... work on those short mid - range shots... make yourself a better player by becoming a threat from that range.. it wll make your team better than way because then they will have to cover you.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

Ken

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 13:33 

thanks alot and i will let you know :)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 11:44 
Site Admin

You can find more suggestions here.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting.html

Like Ken said, it's hard to know what to tell you without seeing your shot. It could be mental and/or physical.