All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 20:26 

I have a couple of questions 1 is whenever I shoot from the 3 point corner I shoot to hard how can I fix this and when I shoot from the right wing the ball goes to far left and air balls how can I fix this and last question when I shooti have a flat arc (I think) how can I fix this?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 05:49 
Site Admin

Without seeing you shoot it's hard to say. Working with a local trainer or shooting coach would be the best option.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 09:05 

First, just general shooting tips:

1.) If the ball is short of the rim, it's a leg problem. Bend at the knees and let your legs power your shot.
2.) If the ball is long (aka hitting the back of the rim), then it is normally a follow through problem. Make sure your sinking your hand in the cookie jar, following through with your hand down. I always say forefinger and middle finger should be the last two fingers off the ball.
3.) If the ball is left or right side of the rim, then your elbow is not straight. Keep your arm straight.
4.) The rim is big enough to put two basketballs through side by side. It gets smaller the less arc you have on your shot. Make sure to have your arm angle up, at least eye height or higher on your release.
5.) Eye on rim. Don't watch the ball in flight, but have your eyes focused on your rim spot from the moment you catch the ball and square up.

Now, for shooting work, don't start from 3-point range. I happen to agree with Don Kelbick on this, that your shot shouldn't change based on distance. You do the same thing 3-feet from the basket as you do from 18 feet.
Start close in and develop consistency from close to the basket before moving your range out.

Practice form shooting before you go to jump-shooting.

Just my thoughts. Many coaches teach shooting differently.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 14:31 

Thnx I'll try that

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 14:32 

Also what difference does it make if u look at the rim after the shot or the ball?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 14:37 

It really makes no difference after the ball is released in terms of result. But holding the line of sight and training your eyes to see the target, and be focused on that target for every shot is a good habit to be in.

Not having a consistent sight point is a problem for many who want to be a better shooter.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 14:39 

Ok thnx

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 22:36 

How does holding follow through help?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 01:12 

Holding your follow through helps you see where your hands are after the shot is released. A lot of times younger players push the ball instead of getting the proper rotation on the ball by snapping their wrists at the end of the shot. I've seen shooting hands pointed off to the left or right after shots which can alter the shot. Also, the off hand could be too high after the shot which could indicate the shooter is leaving it on the ball too long. Holding your follow through helps you and your coach analyze your shot to help insure you're using the proper shooting form after the shot is released.