All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 02:04 

my shooting range is too short because of my shooting arc is too high.Any ideas to lower my shooting arc? or increase my range to shoot a 3 point?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 08:28 

I like what Don Kelbick said about shooting: you do the same things, over and over, regardless of distance.

It is important that your form stay consistent at any distance. Power should come from the legs. Depending upon your release, you may want to drop your release point a little lower. It is difficult to tell without actually seeing your shot.

When I work with kids on shooting, we always do this:
Start close in, at about 2 feet. Shoot without a bank, about 5 shots from the 5 spots around the rim (front, sides, and diagonal angles). The ball shouldn't hit the rim, but should swish.

Now step out to 4-6 feet. Do it again.

Keep working your way back. The only change to your form that should be affected is the power of your jump. Everything else is about release, touch, and follow through, which should stay consistent regardless of distance from the basket.

This is not a one day process or 100 shot process and it gets fixed.
This is a process that should take weeks of consistent practice and hundreds of shots a day. But you need to find that comfort zone where the release feels natural, and you are doing the same things regardless of whether it is a close to the basket shot or a 3 point field goal.

Hope this helps.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 13:54 

Good info Brian ...

I would just add this.... your elbow should be around your eye/ear area upon release.