All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 08:54 

I am in eighth grade and I struggle with shooting. I constantly listen to different shooting experts to know how I can improve my jumpshot. When I looked on your site, you suggest that when shooting, you should keep your eyes on target so that you can locate where you're shooting at. You also say that you should not follow the flight of the ball. The problem is, reggie miller, ray allen, steve kerr, dirk nowitzki, steve nash, kevin love, derrick rose, doug mcdermott, michael jordan, jimmer fredette, and james harden all follow the flight of the ball. Pro shot shooting system recommends this. Their reasoning is that you should follow the flight of the ball because that way you can better align your shot. They say that the rim will not move so it's pointless to stare at it. They also say that if you stare at the rim, you won't be able to see where the ball is going therefore you can be off target. They say you should follow the ball through the rim. What is your take on this and how do you think my vision should be when shooting? Thanks so much

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 09:36 
Site Admin

Both wrong and both right at the same time.

Once the ball has moved past your eyes on the follow through, it does not matter where you look.

Lock in on the rim, watch the ball, or look at your girlfriend or boyfriend in the stands.

We hope to release a new article on this in the future with references to research.

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 09:44 
Site Admin

As you've noticed, if you talk to 100 different shooting coaches, you'll get 100 different recommendations on how to shoot. They give conflicting advice.

You'll also notice 100 great shooters that all have different technique. Some follow the ball, some don't.

They can't all be right and they can't all be wrong. So it can be kinda confusing. Bottom line is there are many different ways to shoot the ball and as long as you are consistent, you have a chance to be a good shooter.

With that said, there are universal concepts that apply to shooting regardless of who you talk to. I would do what you believe and seems comfortable for you. If it feels right, stick with it.

Here are some universal shooting concepts that I believe apply no matter who you ask.

1. Need to be able to shoot straight -- follow through and the way the ball rolls off your fingers is the key.
2. Need sufficient arc. Release point around 45 degree angle (ballpark).
3. Must shoot the same way every time. Set point, ball dip, follow through, everything the same.
4. Confidence and good mental attitude - no fear, getting in the zone, don't over-think
5. Must be able to get it off in a game. Quick release / efficiency (shot prep).
6. Practice / repetitions.

There are many different ways to accomplish those 6 things. But they are things you must do. And you must be consistent. All great shooters do things the same every time.

I know a great shooting coach working with NBA guys that says shooting is all feel. It's not a visual thing. For example, have you ever shot and knew it was going to go in before the ball got to the rim? You can just feel it and you just know. And how does a guy make 400 free throw in a row without seeing the rim? It's all by feel.

I'm not saying who is right or who is wrong. I'm just saying there are lots of ways to do things and there are only a few "absolutes" when it comes to shooting. Don't over think things too much and be consistent and practice a ton.

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 09:52 

Jeff is 100% right. Who is going to copy Tayshon Prince's stroke? How different is that stroke from Ray Allen's or Dirk's? They are all different and successful. Jamal Wilkes had the goofiest stroke of all time and made shot after shot after shot....

I am a big believer is SEEING THE BALL GO IN!! As the player practices, it's important his/her confidence level goes up as they see more and more shots go in. This is why we believe that the competitive leagues and travel stuff is ABSURD until a certain level of skill is achieved. Players have to be able to make shots WITH NO PRESSURE first, building their form and their confidence. If you shove the competition at them too soon, they literally have no chance. Basics estimates that 90-95% of the kids out there are competing too soon.

www.MyBasketballBasics.com

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 16:01 

Everybody is right here - but in 8th grade you should be the best player you can be and not MJ, heck, I cant do what he did without a ball.

I am also a firm believer of watching the ball go in the basket... too me, it was all about concentration and coinsistency.

Now, IF your shooting % is great, go for it, if not, work on your form and consistendcy JMO