All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 16:22 

Hey coach,

I'm trying to fix my shot and the major problem I'm facing is that no matter what I do I just continue to bring the ball slightly behind my head and that kills my shot range and arc... Any good advice on how to correct it?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 17:00 

Try a LOT of FORM shooting with one hand. Try this -

As I talk to a lot of players, they are looking to correct their shot, dribbling, passing etc. Mostly shooting..... there is no quick fix for this, you have probably been shooting that way for a long time and have created a bad habit and its in your muscle memory.

To correct this problem, it is going to take 100s, no, more like 1,000s of shots to create a new muscle memory - so the shot becomes automatic.

The first thing you have to do is correct your form... that can be done by shooting against a wall so you don't have to worry about making the shot... only using correct form - 100s of shots a day until you have correct form. Then you can go to the basket and do what we called BEEF check going from Block to the Middle to the other Block.

Step 1 - We started this with the SHOOTING HAND ONLY.... maybe 12 shots in all.
Step 2 - Then you can bring your guide hand up but NOT on the ball and do the same thing. 12 more shots.
Step 3 - - 12 more shots with your guide hand in the proper position. ( your guide hand has nothing to do with the shot other than to keep the ball in the proper position on your shooting hand.)

The next thing to do would be to step back several feet... 6-7 feet? Now repeat Step 3, don't move any further back until you have mastered this distance. Once you are shooting with a good percentage, you can move further back. Don't move to the three point line if you are shooting 30 percent from 10 - 15 feet.

To explain BEEF for those who haven't heard that term.
B - Balance ( staggered stance, one foot slightly in front of the other )
E - Elbow under the ball ( the elbow might be SLIGHTLY out )
E - Eye on the target (keep your eye on the target until the ball goes in)
F - Follow through..... ( keep your arm extended until the ball goes in)

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 05:14 

Thanks coach,

I'm going to try it, see how it goes! Thanks for the response.

Do you have any guidelines on how far behind is the ball allowed to go without affecting my arc and range, I mean is there any margin of error and if yes what is that?

Thanks again

P.S. I'm asking all those questions because I'm breaking down videos of me shooting, trying to find out my flaws in order to improve my shooting form.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 06:14 

Bring the ball up with one hand and let it sit on it... don't shoot. That is the approximate position for your hand/.eblow/arm.

As you go into your shot, your elbow should be around the eye/ear area.

Maybe you can post a video of your shot so we can take a look at it? IF you bring the ball back to far the shot becomes like a sling shot.... that will affect the arc. As fpr a margin of error.... keep working on your form like I posted above and that should correct where you have the ball. I have seen some pretty ugly shooters (side spin / slingshot) that were effectivre...so a lot of that is up to the individual.

Don't worry about being perfect.... worry about being consistent. Work on your form till you are comfortable with it and have some success % wise.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 02:05 

Thanks again coach,

if sling shot is how you call it, that's what happens and it pretty much affecting my arc as you mentioned...
Sure I can post a video (side view) so you can see what I mean, but it would be a lot easier if I upload it on youtube (just because of the size and length of the video) and send you the private link.

Updating as soon as it is uploaded...

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 06:09 

http://youtu.be/unF0VQELMmg

You can check this video, it's a really long one of me shooting...

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 07:17 

Thanks for the video....... it looks like your form is good until you bring the ball up OVER your head. You really need to work on your overall form.... so you can break that habit.

I would suggest doing what we called BEEF CHECK.

To explain BEEF -

B - Balance ( staggered stance, one foot slightly in front of the other )
E - Elbow under the ball ( the elbow might be SLIGHTLY out )
E - Eye on the target (keep your eye on the target until the ball goes in)
F - Follow through..... ( keep your arm extended until the ball goes in)

Why don't you try shooting against a wall with ONE HAND.. that should prevent you from bringing the ball back that far - I think the ball will fall off your shooting hand if you try and put the ball over your head. You have developed this habit (Muscle Memory) and it is going to take some time to break it.... 100s to 1,000s of shots.

Take one dribble and bring the ball up with ONE HAND, keep your elbow under the ball as much as you can (you seem to do this well) until you go into your shot, that's when you put the ball over your head.

Do this for several days and tell me how this is working out for you.... then we can move on to shooting at the basket with one hand and then two. Be patient with yourself, this might take some time... but the more you work at it, the faster you will correct it..... BIG KEY.... is doing it correctly, which in your case means, NOT bringing the ball over your head.

I was a late bloomer and didn't develop a jump shot until I was a junior in high school.... and funny thing.... it was one handed. Weird huh!

Look at the form here.... and where she has the ball at the top of her shot... and the guys too. They explain the mechanics of the shot well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9s_ukMz0e0

Here is a 14 year old boy that has great form with the SWISH method. Look at HIS form and where the ball is at the top of his shot as he releases it. Gavin has great form and he's like on automatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTxHGOQdEc&list=PLCE640F251A4CDE74&index=1

This is what I would like you to do.... look at the video from the 2:08 mark of the video.... Don't forget, this boy worked with that coach since he was 11.
It didn't take him 3 years to perfect the form.... but both those videos will show you the correct way of releasing the ball.... or should I say, your RELEASE POINT.

Look at what I wrote at the top, then look at the videos and use whichever one helps you best.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 09:03 

Ok, got it I'll try your advices (I am actually patient enough) and we'll see how it goes...

Thanks again, I will post again if any problem occurs...

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 09:09 

Do us a favor, as you work on this, let us know how this is going... that way we will know how to help othrers in the future.

I would hate to think that I am giving you bad advice. Maybe you can post another video as you are correcting this.

Good luck

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 07:52 
Site Admin

From what I can tell, your release looks good. It's the motion up to your release that needs worked on.

In addition to what Coach Sar mentioned, I would work on the fluidity and rhythm of your shot. When you bring the ball up from you chest level to above your head, you pause for a second. The great shooters don't pause or barely pause at all. Watch Stephen Curry or Steve Nash shoot. It's smooth. There are no pauses or hitches. I think that would help you tremendously.

Try to start with the ball at waist to chest level. Whatever feels comfortable. Go up through your shot without pausing. Do this thousands of times 10 feet and in.

Shoot - 10 shots from 5 spots - 4 feet, 6 feet, 8 feet, 10 feet, and 12 feet. This would total 200 shots. If you did this for a few weeks, you should be able to get rid of your hitch.