All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2013, 21:55 

I can nail the 3 sometimes and i hit 4 last night but i cant do it consistently ill hit maybe 1 a game and i want to hit more outside shots because that can make it easier for me to drive how to i start making more shots on a game to game basis. also how to i develope great finishing moves and flashy ones to woah the crowd and coaches but score consistently around the basket me being a guard please help.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 18:10 

Josh: Consistency comes through perfect repitition. I had a kid on my pro team a few years back that if left alone could bury the three. If you let him get his feet set, it was in. I never taught him how to shoot, that credit belongs to his AAU coach who apparantly established a routine for him. I used to watch him practice whn they had indiidual work outs. He began inside and worked outside. He would begin with rim flips under the basket but if the ball hit any iron, it did not count. He would take 100 rim flips and had to swish 90. He was always checking his form then adjusting then back to his drill. If you video taped his form, it would always be the same and he probably shot 1000 to 1500 shots per workout. At least it seemed that way. You say you hit 4 threes yesterday, if so, then you are a pretty good shooter, to be consistent you must practice, repeat and adjust. Be satisfied with hitting 45% of your threes. By the way, why not wow your coach and fans woith a great pass or a great pick n rol or even a great steal and finish. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 18:18 

Josh -

A lot of practice so your shot becomes automatic.... it has to be the same every time without having to think about it.... we called that muscle memory.

Coach Mac has given you some good ideas on this subject.... and for sure become a complete player, NOT just a 3 point shooter.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 12:06 

I was also an inconsistent shooter scraping just 32% free-throws in practice. The reason was that I had taken no real guideline and was doing it just on sheer self-assertion. When I finally decided that I was a bad shooter and took some guideline from internet ( especially ebooks of this website ) I came to realize that I was doing it wrong altogether. My shot had no follow through and instead of grooving shots I had jumped straight to three pointers and free throws. Now I have improved considerably.
My advice is : Listen to the advice of these coaches,they have seen it all. Employ correct techniques from the start because bad ways, if stuck, are hard to amend.