All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 15:29 

I have a problem with shooting with my non-shooting hand thumb, its not terrible, but I'd like to fix it to develop true backspin when I shoot and to make my shot better in general. Any drills, products I can use to help? Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 08:53 

As I talk to a lot of players, they are looking to correct their shot, dribbling, passing etc. Mostly shooting..... there is no quick fix for this, you have probably been shooting that way for a long time and have created a bad habit and its in your muscle memory.

To correct this problem, it is going to take 100s, no, more like 1,000s of shots to create a new muscle memory - so the shot becomes automatic.

The first thing you have to do is correct the problem with your guide hand... that can be done by shooting against a wall so you don't have to worry about making the shot... only using correct form - 100s of shots a day until you have correct form.

Then you can go to the basket and do what we called BEEF check going from Block to the Middle to the other Block.

Step 1 - We started this with the SHOOTING HAND ONLY.... maybe 12 shots in all.
Step 2 - Then you can bring your guide hand up but NOT on the ball and do the same thing. 12 more shots.
Step 3 - - 12 more shots with your guide hand in the proper position. ( your guide hand has nothing to do with the shot other than to keep the ball in the proper position on your shooting hand.)

The next thing to do would be to step back several feet... 6-7 feet? Now repeat Step 3, don't move any further back until you have mastered this distance. Once you are shooting with a good percentage, you can move further back. Don't move to the three point line if you are shooting 30 percent from 10 - 15 feet.

Don Kelbick says that a good shooting percentage is around 46% and in game situations that is good... in practice, from short range, I would like to see it a little higher.

From the free throw line... depending on your age and ability level, 60 to 80 percent is what I had my kids try to achieve.

To explain BEEF for those who haven't heard that term.
B - Balance ( staggered stance, one foot slightly in front of the other )
E - Elbow under the ball ( the elbow might be SLIGHTLY out )
E - Eye on the target (keep your eye on the target until the ball goes in)
F - Follow through..... ( keep your arm extended until the ball goes in)
I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 09:01 

I found this product on the net.

http://www.kbacoach.com/shootingcoach.html

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 14:34 

Alright,I'll those drills for awhile. If it doesn't I'll try the product you gave me a link to. Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 14:35 

Alright,I'll those drills for awhile. If it doesn't I'll try the product you gave me a link to. Thanks for your time.