All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 04:33 

Hey Coaches. I thought I could do this without guidance, but I learned I was wrong.

I could write a lot on this thread, but I'll keep it short. For as long as I've been playing basketball I always wanted to be a consistent shooter. Yet, I never stuck to a consistent shot and played around with too many shooting aids. I've also worried more about how my shot looked than if it was consistent (I'm through with that now). I've set the my goal (improve shooting) and am now seek advice.

My shot form feels rocky or better yet 'uncomfortable & tense'.

Faults I see in my form: knuckle ball/little ball spin, shooting fingers stressed/tense. ball hits forehead when shooting, no smoothness in flow of mechanics.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 07:20 

Farid -

I don't know how old you are but you need to stop overthinking the game... its about practicing and becoming fundamentally sound in all aspects. As for shooting you need to start over and build your shot until it becomes automatic or what we call MUSCLE MEMORY.

Here is a link to several shooting coaches...
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

Lets start all over with your FORM.... stand next to a wall, take one dribble and bring the ball UP with ONE HAND and go into your shot ( NO guide hand ) bringing the ball up this way should put your elbow close to being under the ball... go into your shot ( LIFT ) get up on your toes as you shoot like would do shooting free throws and hold your follow through, keep your eye on the target. We call that BEEF
Balance
Elbow under thte ball ( it will probably be slightly out )
Eye on the target
Follow trhough - HOLD you follow through

You will need to do 100s / 1000s of these before it becomes muscle memory.

My teams used to do BEEF CHECK before every practice.. its a simple drill utilizing 3 spots.... the two blocks and in the middle of the floor.. very short shots for a reason, to develop your form.

Start with just your shooting hand, one dribble, bring the ball up and go into your shot, make sure that the BEEF is correct and you use the three spots. Then we had them do this, one dribble and bring the ball up but now, you have the guide hand ALONGSIDE the ball but NOT touching it..... use all three spots. Then we did 3 more just like the above only now you can use your guide hand. 9 shots total. Those are about 3 foot shots...

Since you are having some problems with your shot I would suggest moving back to about 6-7 feet and do that all over again - 9 shots Once you master this, move back to about 10 feet and do the same thing - 9 more shots.

Do this until your shot becomes automatic, at least FORM wise. This will take some time but once you have the FORM corrected you should start to see a dramatic change in the results of your shot. You need to do this every day or as many days as you can each week. NOW, go out and have some FUN and work at your game and your shot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 07:29 

You mght take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTxHGOQdEc

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 15:18 

I'm going to start on this today!

Your right about over-thinking. I'm doing it right now.

You said I would need to do this 100s/1000s of times; that is no problem and I look forward to the hard work. But, can you give me some sort of routine? Should I do 1000s of one handed wall shots, and then move onto the 3 blocks?

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 15:23 

I would say to do 100 one handed shots the first time and then move to the blocks and see how your shot is going.....then move to the blocks and do the 3 - 3 - 3 routine.... then move back and do it again -- keep moving back and doing the same routine.

Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 16:03 

I want to shoot at least 400 shots a day. How should I ration those shots out? I'm highly motivated and determined to change my shot!

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 16:11 

Start with 100 FORM against a wall... then shoot 50 from 3 feet block to block and center... move back to 6-7 feet and do another 50... then move back to 10 feet and shoot 50

Shoot 100 free throws - then shoot your last 50 from 16-17 feet...

Do this for several days and then let us know how its going... we can come up with a different progrram.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 16:23 

Shot all these shots be one dribble one hand shots?

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 17:02 

Form shots against the wall are one handed...
Then the block / center / block shots go like this ... FIRST ROUND .... one handed, 15 shots total
SECOND ROUND ... guide hand is along side the ball but not touching...
15 shots todal
THIRD ROUND guide hand is on the ball... 15 shots total.

Then move to 6-7 feet and shoot 10 one handed and 50 using your guide hand but make sure that it is properly placed.. the guide hand has nothing to do with your shot.

Then move back to 10 feet and shoot 10 one handed and 50 more using your guide hand

Then shoot 100 free throws using your guide hand - AGAIN... make sure that you are not using it to help your shot... its there to make sure that you can keep control of the ball.

The rest of your shots you can take from various places on the floor, make sure that you stay within your comfort zone... you don't want to ruin your form.

By the way, did you look at the video with that boy shooting the ball? That should give you a good idea as to how to shoot.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 17:28 

I'm starting today. Thanks Coach.

I did see the video he has a smooth and consistent shot. I'll reply back soon with my progress.