All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 00:29 

I've shot roughly 850 shots in the past two days. Around 400-450 shots a day. I'm working not to over-think when doing this drills. A few things I've noticed are that my fingers and form with the ball in shooting position are stiff causing lack of ball spin in my opinion. Not sure if thats the case though.

I had a friend video tape me while doing the dirll and I noticed it seems like I have a 2 piece shot: bring it to shooting position (in front of forehead to the right) and then shoot. It's their for less than a second. I'd like to have a fluent 1-piece shot much like Stephon Curry. Can you help with any insights on how to achieve that?

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 07:06 

Farid -

As you take your one dribble and bring the ball up you should be going directly into your shot... as you go into your shot and release the ball, your elbow should be around your eye/ear area. When you start using both hands, there should be a "window" that you are looking through so you can see your target.

As for your fingers ... bring the ball up and you should be able to put a pencil between your palm and the ball... that should correct your finger problem.

Look at this page -

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting/5-shooting-mistakes.html

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 13:25 

Moment of revelation. I was taking a dribble and then bringing the ball to shooting position. Thank you Coach Sar.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 10:26 

By the way, make sure that your FORM is good on all these shots, otherwise you will be building bad habits - ok?

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 19:57 

I've been consistent with the drills. Not as much as I like. I'm seeing improvements in my form and projection. Should I hold back from playing pick-up games and shooting Coach?

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 20:22 

How many shots have you been taking per day? Glad to hear that your form is gettting better!

You could start shooting some short range shots now... see how that goes....

As for pick-up games.... heck, thats fun and I hate to tell you NOT to do that... try it out and see how it goes if you like... but do some form shooting before and maybe afterwards too.

Keep after it!

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 23:50 

I've been shooting 300 to 500 shots. I went a few days with a bad attitude and lacked focus. I fell into the 'I want a magic pill' result. I'm back on track now and ready to get my hands dirty again.

I know I can't replicated anyone persons shot. We all have are unique shot in a way. I believe I've said this before, but I enjoy watching Stephon Curry, because of his quick release and smooth jumper. Is there a way I can work on that?

P.S. While I'm shooting from 6-10 feet I find myself forcing myself to shoot quicker, and as a result sometimes I end up fumbling the whole shot. Should I slow down since its the beginning? I could be jumping the gun with that.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012, 05:52 

Farid -

If you get into one of those BAD days, stop shooting and work on your ball handling skills. No sense in ruining what you have already accomplished. IF you are going to correct and build a good shot, you really do have to stay focused.

Its nice that you have someone you want to emulate, BUT, how about you be the best that FARID can be. Its hard to copy someones shot ( although I am trying to help you build your shot like I taught all my players - I had a couple of parents from another team and tell me that all my players shoot the same way, great compliment for me )

Right now you have to work on and correct your form..... only AFTER that is done can you start working on a quicker release. JMO How do you feel about this Jeff / Joe? IF I was there teaching you I would advise you to slow down and make sure your form is correct.

You will have plenty of time to work on a quicker release ... Right now its all about developing MUSCLE MEMORY and that takes 1,000s of shots. Hang in there.