All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 09:58 

Guys today we have a 5th grade tourny game and the team we play has a bunch of length ! Length is the one thing that bothers Blake the most! He gets frustrated and u can see it! What advice can I give the child to help him and keep him from getting frustrated over blocked shots and shots he normally would take but won't due to being afraid it will get blocked! As a team what can we do to to combat this and rebound !! Just want the kids and Blake to be competitive and have fun and not get caught up in there bigger than us!!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 12:18 

First of all, thats one thing neither you nor Blake can control... so.... are they playing m2m? IF so, teach your kids to shot fake and get the defender to react... then they/Blake can dribble past to an open area for the shot.......

Might be a little early for this... but teaching a jump stop and shot fake to get them off their feet, then lean into the defender and shoot, should get the foul call.....

Blake, don't be afraid of getting your shot blocked... or you will never shoot it.... your time will come for that too... but right now, use their NEED to block shots to your advantage, get them off their feet and go by them to a spot you have an opening for the shot... or shot fake, cross over dribble and shoot as they go by.

As for rebounding, its all about desire and positioning... some of the best rebounders were undersized compared to some of the big guys in the NBA..... get good position and put them on your back... make them go over you to rebound.. we ran a drill called TEAM REBOUND..... 4 on 4 and the D had to box out until the ball hit the floor.... then pick it up.... TEAM REBOUND. I hope this helps - Good luck

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:34 

Coach we didn't fair to well against the length today !! Out of all the teams we have played this yr this is our toughest draw !! We played the 1 seed and regular season champs closer than this team and I think it's all about match ups! As I went and looked at the book for the season( and I know Blake will learn and develop to handle things better so that's not my concern ) this team is the only team to hold him to single digits in scoring ! As a coach or should I say assistant this makes me realize how different matchups causes certain teams problems!!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 17:49 

As Blake gets older and you do more coaching you will find ways to try and get around a superior team, at least height wise...... this takes time and experience. Don't sweat this one game or season, he is young and its all about FUN right now.... and as long as the kids had fun and learned some skills, everyone has been successful.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 18:33 

Coach it was a exciting fun season ! The kids learned alot and came along way!! The game before today if u could have only seen it!! Wow!!! These kids have ownership of what is the best game I have Been part of and many others that was there! We won 57-54 in triple OT !! They had so many people come up after the game to them praising them ! Both teams to be exact !! It was play after play after play in the 2nd half !! The crowd was so loud and kids couldn't hear whistles or coaches!! But they still made plays!! That made there season I think !! They was all full of smiles and moms and dads and even fans of other teams coming up to them !! The team we beat even came today and cheered for us lol !! U could just see the glow in the kids !! We was a heavy underdog if I'm being honest ! We was down 23-12 at the half ! We play 5 min qt and 2 min OT's so in 16 min we hustled out tails off and came back to win! I seen 75 yr old people cheering and yelling !! Those 20 or so kids on both teams gave everyone great entertainment that will last in our memory for a long long time !! Now As a parent and coach of my son in that game !! I have never seen my child play the way he did! He had 45pts 37 of those in 2nd half and OT !! He made every free throw in 2nd half and hit a 3 to send it to OT !! But the absolute best part is his face never changed til he hugged his mom at the end and smiled !!