All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 22:28 

I'm a six foot guard who has many oppurtunities to bring the ball up and play point. Since I am taller than most, I play againts shorter guards who are quick and like to reach. How do you protect the ball and create space when bringing the ball up court and attacking in the halfcourt?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 02:10 

Yeah! I also love to create space myself but sadly I have trouble shooting. But lets put this way, to create space. The effective move, "Step Back". You can do this when your alive with the ball. Dribble the ball with your shooting hand, and do the big bounce with your shooting foot foward. Next, go through a open drive to pass, shoot, or lay it in! Good luck!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 04:53 

Protect the ball by keeping your other forearm between you and the defender.... the rule of thumb I told my players was.. the closer the defender the lower the dribble.... use hesitation dribbles to keep the defender off balance... IF you do this they will have a harder time defending you since they are not sure at what speed you are playing at..... dribbling slow and IF they reach, you can blow by them... (just an example) .....perfect a great crossover for starters.

PLAY to your strengths and work on your weaknesses this summer....

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 07:08 

I agree with the step back dribble to create space while you are dribbling. To create space before you dribble you can use the jab step, or overhead ball fake or even a reverse pivot as you catch the ball.....so you are pivoting away from defender as you receive the ball.

Good Luck

Have Fun

Coach A