All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 08:19 

Hi, I'm a 5'8 point guard and I was wondering how I can prevent someone from poking the ball from behind when I go by him.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 12:43 

I'm assuming you're talking about the person guarding you? First of all, I'd be livid if my defensive player tried that move. I know players think it looks cool, especially if it works, but it's a terrible move. It means the defender got beat and is allowing their player to blow by. Instead of hustling to cut off their man, they're allowing the defender to pass them and hoping to poke the ball out. No bueno.

The only way I know to counter that move is to explode to the basket. Either you'll get points, a foul or be able to dish because someone will have to help, leaving their man open. Anytime you've beaten your defender, you need to accelerate past them.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 13:06 
Site Admin

I agree that i hate it when players do that mostly because the should not be getting beat in the first place. And you definitely don't want to rely on poking the ball from behind.

Regarding how to protect from that, it depends.

If you have an opening all the way to the basket, it's simple. You push the ball out ahead and go in a straight line to the basket. Once you beat the defender and have your foot past or even with his, you push the ball out, get long, and minimize dribbles. 3pt line to the basket should be one or two dribbles at the most. To take only one or two dribbles you have to put the ball out in front and then chase it down.

If you have help defenders in there and you are not going in straight lines. you may have to veer to protect the ball. You can see Chris Paul veer in front of the defender to get him on his back in this video. Chris Paul also puts the ball into space where the defenders can't get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa3nu-hO7R4

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 16:14 

Thanks guys I appreciate it

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 09:52 
Site Admin

In addition to Coach Rob and Jeff's recommendations...

If in the open court, you can also switch hands. After you blow by somebody with your right hand, immediately switch to your left.

While I certainly don't recommend doing this right now... you have to develop a great feel for the move first...I've noticed that players like Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry have become so good at this that they can even do it in tight spaces.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 10:29 

JeffHaefner wrote:
Once you beat the defender and have your foot past or even with his, you push the ball out, get long, and minimize dribbles. 3pt line to the basket should be one or two dribbles at the most. To take only one or two dribbles you have to put the ball out in front and then chase it down.
Yep, get long and minimize dribbles. Great advice.