All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 23:00 

Your teammate dribbles the ball, throws it to you but did not see him pass the ball to you, he goes back and grabs it, doesn't dribble the ball, just holds it. Is that traveling?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 15:29 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure that is considered a travel (unless the ball touches someone else). If I'm wrong or misunderstand the situation, someone else can chime in.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 16:44 

So, if I'm understanding this right, he throws it to his team mate who doesn't see it, so it goes past him. The passer races to retrieve the ball and gets to it before anyone else and picks it up.

Yes, that is traveling. The rule is that you can not pass it to yourself, and I could see this being interpreted that way.

This used to be the case with shot air balls too. That rule was changed. At the youth level, when I was reffing, I'd generally be lenient with this rule. If it gives the player an advantage, ie closer to the basket with an open shot, then yes, I'd call that as a travel, or pass to ones self. But if it goes back and it's on honest miscommunication between team mates that garners no advantage, then I'd call it a play on.

But by the letter of the law, I believe it is traveling.

Just my thoughts on it.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 18:42 

I think it's more of an "illegal dribble" situation assuming A1's pass hit the floor before they recovered the ball. "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of: A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by another player."

If A1 dribbles the ball, picks it up (ending the dribble), throws it in the air and let's it hit the ground and picks it up again, that would be illegal if it didn't touch another player before A1 picked it up again. Even if it was an attempted pass, I believe.

If A1 dribbles the ball, picks it up (ending the dribble) and throws it in the air while taking steps to catch it, that would be a travel because they lifted their pivot foot.

I'm betting in this scenario, A1 passed the ball and it bounced on the floor, which turns into a dribble when A1 picks up the ball again because it didn't touch another player first.

Does that make sense?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:33 

Thank you all, that answers my question.