All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 18:17 

Hey, I'm in 8th grade, and I'm 5'8, my main position is PF but sometimes my coach will have me bring the ball up the court and set up the Offense. I have decent handles and I have pretty good court vision in my opinion. I can do all the fancy stuff; between the legs, behind the back, ect, but I don't know how to get anywhere by doing it. Like, when I do a between the legs move, I'm just standing their, I don't know how I'm supposed to get past my defender and get an easy bucket or dish it to one of my teamates. I feel like if you could help me with this, me, and the rest of my team would be extremely beneficial from it.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 19:16 

Most coaches have rules about when and why you dribble. We tell our players they are dribbling to get a better position to pass or heading to the nail or low block. We don't like the east/west dribbling. So, the behind the back or between the legs are used to get by your defender. I see a lot of players out on the perimeter dribbling between their legs only to have the ball hit a foot and cause a turnover. Dribble with a purpose.

Couple of videos below, I'm sure others will chime in also. Sounds like you need a few moves in your arsenal. What I like about the 2nd video is the emphasis on attacking and knowing when to head to the basket. We tell our players that once you've "crossed the face" of your defender, you're headed to the hoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_I_EKTZvc
dribble attacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMtY-dxN82U
creating space - attacking

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 19:28 

Thanks, I'll watch the videos in a couple of minutes. Could you reply to my post in the "General" section? Thanks

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 20:10 

Kenny -

It sounds like you are doing a lot of fancy stuff and going nowhere. I told my players to forget the hot dog stuff... pick out a couple of moves and perfect them. I like to see a good crossover, hesistation crossover. Get your lead foot past his and you are home free.

Watch the pros and see how many moves they use. Here is a video that will give you 23 ways to destroy your defender. Check out the crossover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebD-uH2yM

Notice he says 2 dribbles? He has some great tips.... if you want to beat the D keep the ball beneath your knee. This is a GREAT Video.

Pick out a couple of moves and counters to go with it. Don't worry about being to fancy.... get a couple of moves that will help your game and work on them.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:12 

That really does sum up what I do haha, I'm fancy but I don't get anywhere LOL. And that video is super cool haha. I extremely like the Allen Iverson Killer crossover, it's so simple!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:22 

Ok, well, we ran out of Mustard for your hot dog moves... now learn that crossover and "break Drew's ankles"