All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 12:17 

Wow, this really is my favorite site. I have learned so much. I guess I'm sort of addicted:) Anyway I have a question. I know with certainty that it is very important to be in good condition to prevent injury. My question is this: How much conditioning should be included in practice if we only have practice one day a week. As the season gets closer we will be able so get gym time for two days but I want to make sure I'm not pushing to hard on our one day! By the way I coach a 5th grade girls travel team and assist with a 3rd grade girls team. Thanks again for all the excellent advice.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2009, 09:02 

I'm glad that you are enjoying the site and getting some valuable information.
As a young coach I thought that we had to run a lot during practice... as I got older I realized that IF I had a good practice plan I could condition them while running drills and as we scrimmaged. I felt that our practice time was to valuable to just run without learning a skill.
With you only having 1 or 2 practices, I wouldn't waste one minute on just running. Keep them moving all the time... keep your drills short - maybe 5 minutes... do a couple hard ones and then do a shooting drill of some kind... including free throws. Make sure that you include some full court drills too. Good luck
We would appreciate a reply to our suggestions, thanks.
Coach Sar

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 10:25 

Coach Sar is right. Most drills involve running so your conditioning is automatically built in. Practice time is too valuable to spend on just running laps or lines. As long as the kids are moving, they're getting conditioning. Granted, you do need a few warm-ups, but instead of just running, have them run to a line then add a drill in (defensive slide, jump stop, or pivot). Do the same with dribbling, combine drills because you have limited practice time.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 00:27 

I tend to go against the grain on this topic,
as I can see the points that coach Sar and Bdmauk24 mentioned with keeping conditioning with drills.
I think at this age group, conditioning is not used as just a way to get fitter and stronger than other teams you are facing but it is more around the mental aspect!
If your players can store how hard and relentless a conditioning drill was when it comes time to a game it adds one more feather of confidence in the hat of your players and its all about risk and reward.
I push my players as hard as I can preseason so when we get to a game I remind them of all that hard work they put in and now its time to reap the benefits..
Just a different perspective of things

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 08:15 

Coach TD -

Pre season is a different story... and I would agree with you there. But I believe she was talking about durng practice.. and I will stick to my guns on that part... use a ball, don't waste any time.... teach skills....especially when you only get one or two practice days a week. JMO