All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 10:03 

Hi there,

I've been working with my young girl on some general shooting skills / drills. She insists on stepping out near the three point arc, but with not much success. Her form goes to pieces and the shot becomes more of a throw in the general direction. How do you develop the strength to hit those longer shots, and do you recommend some leg strengthening exercises?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 10:12 

I'm not sure how old yuour daughter is but the THREE has ruined the form for many young players. She needs to stay away from that shot until she is strong enough to shoot it without ruining her form.

I did this with all my young campers... start shooting close and work your way back as your success allows. IF you get to 15 feet and you are not consistent.. the step back in a few feet and keep shooting there until you are succcessful. I think you get the general idea... you can insert and distance that works for you and your daughter.

As she gets older she will get stronger and she will be able to make those shots. Jumping rope, jumping over lines, jumping up and down off of a box, all those will help her to develop leg strength and quickness.

Let us know how this goes. ( I'm sure that some of the other coaches will have some ideas also. )

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 12:20 
Site Admin

The first and most important question is... how old is your daughter? Let us know and we can help. I have some really good resources for you but the age makes a big difference on this.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 07:17 

Thank you for responding.
Emma is 11 years old. We went to the gym for a general muck around session today and we worked out how far she can shoot from comfortably, it is some distance from the arc. I didn't say much more, but l think she realises that it might take a fair bit of practice and exercise to hit the threes consistently.
I'll use the ideas suggested [ie jump rope, jumping from boxes etc] and we will start a shot chart to plot her range and consistency.
Thank you again
Alan

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 07:33 
Site Admin

Alan,

Unless your daughter is exceptionally strong and mature for her age, there's almost no way an 11 year old will be able to shoot with proper form from 3-point range.

So my first suggestion is to keep her away from those long shots. I know it's not always possible and you want your daughter to enjoy the game, but you can still could help in a positive way. If you can have her practice and play games at a basket with No 3 Point Lines, that would be great. Maybe a little encouragement from you to work on close shots first. Then when she gets older and perfects those shots, she can move out.

Here's an article about extending shooting range:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-range.html

In the article above, pay close attention to ADJUSTMENT TECHNIQUE #1. I think that is one of the best techniques to extend range and help players figure out how to get the ball there (it's all in the LEGS).

If you're really serious about helping your daughter improve shooting, here's a comprehensive resource about improving accuracy, developing range, improving confidence, and a step by step plan to become a great shooter. Check out the reviews at the bottom of the page. This is our highest rated product and we put a lot of time into the development.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any other questions.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 09:04 

I agree with Jeff, she shouldn't even be attempting that shot.

Set some kind of goals for her... WAY INSIDE the arc...... and when she can hit 3-5 in a row OR have a good shooting percentage, then allow her to move back a few feet at a time.

Then after she practices shooting you can do some fun things with the ball... let her make any moves or even make up moves of her own... but stay away from the arc. JMO