All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 17:54 

Hi my daughter is 11yrs old and I need help on her shooting form. She starts her shot up in front of her face and lacks power to get the ball to the basket from anywhere from about 10'-12' out. I have the shooting dvd from Better Basketball. But I have been hearing alot about the Swish Method .
What are the differences between the two? I have heard the Swish Method coaches the open stance vs squared stance of Better Basketball. Whats the pros or cons of each?
Is there any other dvds out there that can help me to improve her form? I want her to learn the best so she doesnt have to change her shot again when she gets older.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 09:50 

Each person is different and at her age 10-12 feet might be her optimum range. I would have her work on her form... stand by a wall and practice good technique. The ball shouldn't be right in front of her face so you need to correct that.
Have her dribble the ball once and bring the ball up with her shooting hand and go into her shot... this will have the ball in the right position with her elbow almost directly under the ball. As she brings the ball up and releases it, her elbow should be even with her eye/ear and then she needs to hold her follow through. There should be a "window" that she can look through as she goes into her release... so she can concentrate on the target.

We taught the BEEF method... Got this from George Lehmann As for the Stance / Balance, I believe that the person has to be comfortable to be effective as long as her from is good, she should get better.
B - Balance
E- Elbow under the ball
E- Eye on the target
F - Follow through

Doing this FORM shooting against the wall allows her to perfect her form.. no pressure.... this develops muscle memory and that way she wont have to think about how she is shooting. This will take some time so be patient. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 21:23 

Thanks for the tips coach. I will have her do the shooting at the wall drill.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 07:05 
Site Admin

I personally like the open stance because it's more comfortable and natural. But if your shot is consistent (done the same way every time) and you practice enough, you can be a good shooter either way.