All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 16:53 

So we started our season with an all 3rd grade boys team and our first game is this Saturday. We've had roughly 12 practices leading up to this and it seems like the boys are growing increasingly aggressive on defense each practice. Majority of it has to do with reaching in and bowling offensive players over trying to get the ball (ie: getting out of position) or becoming slap-happy when the offensive player picks up their dribble. I continue having talks with them about the importance of being in the right position but I'm hoping this is due to them being ready for practices to end and games to begin.

I'm curious how would you deter this behavior? I've ran drills where they had their hands behind their back - forcing them to move their feet and not get out of position - but as soon as we get out of that drill and into a scrimmage, they get right back into slapping at the ball.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 07:38 

I've never worked with kids this young... so I'm not too sure how I would deal with this... maybe in practice have them sit a bit so you can simulate them getting in foul trouble in a game?

Aggressive is good as long as its controlled.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 07:51 
Site Admin

The only way to completely deter the behavior is wait until they are in middle school or high school (when their brain is developed and the can control themselves and comprehend the importance of what you are asking them to do). Or you can practice every day and drill them every day. With enough emphasis and repetition you can fix almost anything. But how much fun would that be for the kids, let alone be possible to do daily?

No real good solution I don't think. Just keep working on fundamentals, keep things fun, and set a good example for the players. You can call fouls in practice to deter that, run cutthroat defense drills (although I haven't tried that with kids that young and I don't know if it would be appropriate), etc. When games start and they get called for fouls or you put them on the bench to teach the lessons, the behavior will probably improve. Good luck with this one, 3rd graders will keep life interesting.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 09:40 

I coach in a league that does not allow stealing off the dribble. It forces the kids to play defense with their feet and allows the offense an opportunity to move the ball towards the basket without the risk of having the ball swatted away or stolen in the process. If I were you, I would set some scrimmage-time aside during practice where the kids can't steal the ball. Good luck!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 17:34 

Here are two suggestions:
1. Defend the fort. Meaning they keep the offense out of the lane. Keep back to the basket. Defending the fort helps at this age for something they can relate to. If they chase then their man can can enter the fort and score. I will stand under the basket and my goal is that I cannot see the offensive player. Agressive offensive players may try to dribbble through the lane. Just meet them and turn them around.
2. Force field. This is keeping their hands out and up. Tell them they do not have to take the ball. If they keep their hands out or up the other team will end up giving the ball up to them.
Drill that I do.
Start with entire team split in to pairs. Each pair has a ball. One dribbles and the other defends the fort. No shooting and no steals. Just defend the fort. Offense has anything goes.
Then take two balls out and have two kids open. Rule is that you can only shoot off the pass. Helps to teach open spots, off ball defense and finding open man. Progressively decrease the ball until there is only one in play and then stress defense and good pass to an open man.
Good Luck

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 17:46 

mwolfe -

I did that in some summer camps where we would play OFF hand games... no steals, no blocked shots... wanted them to work hard on their off hands.... saw some silly looking shots but as for passing and dribbling, it helped their game a lot... and yes, they learned to play position defense.