All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 09:09 

I coach my daughter she is 9 and has developed a very good shot, when we practice she hits everything inside 15 feet , 75% free throw shooter in the game she gets herself to the basket and misses every time, how can I help calm her down, or is this one of those playing will solve it issue's?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 09:20 

It sounds like she has a good shot from what you describe... remember, she is only nine and what we percieve as an easy shot can be hard for younger kids.....

It could be a little case of nerves or just shys away from contact?
You could always use a football blocking dummy and practice lay ups with her.... giving her a LITTLE bump as she shoots, that way she can get used to some contact while shooting inside.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 09:46 
Site Admin

To put things in perspective, you can go to a 20 foot hoop and try to shoot a lay up with a oversized 5 pound basketball. That is what it's like for a 9 year old to shoot a 28.5 inch basketball at a 10 foot hoop.

Sure there are things you can do to help a 9 year old make lay ups, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. There are other things for development that are more important at that age.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 11:22 

Jeff,

And all this time I was led to believe that you are/were a great shooter? That shot would have been cake for you! :-)

Great answer though.... at nine she has a lot of learning to do... be patient and let her develop her skills..... I've seen a lot of high school kids blow lay ups.... how about some of the PROS missing all those free throws?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 14:04 

Thanks, but I know contact is not the issue she loves it, first on the floor after a loose ball, blocks out every time. but thanks I figured it was a time healing thing.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 14:40 

She will be just fine.... 75% from the FT line... there are some PROs that wish they could shoot that good.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011, 03:17 

Thanks coach for all your help, I am so thankful for this forum you guys are a blessing to be able to tap into experienced coaches and get logical answers and guidance is priceless. Thanks so much!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011, 06:42 

Glad we can be of some help... there are some very good coaches on this forum.... sometimes we have a little different answers... but thats good... it can give you a little different perspective about things. In this game, ONE SIZE DOESN'T FIT ALL.... good luck I hope things work out for your daughter, she is young and has a long way to go... make sure she is having FUN.