All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 21:14 

What are the boards thoughts on aau ball- my son ( 9yr old) is finishing up rec league in the next 2 weeks and he was wanting to keep playing during the summer. Is aau ball that beneficial? I hear nothing but horror stories. I might even be willing to see if some of his friends would want get together and create a team.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 10:42 

I think that regardless of where he plays... rec, aau, school etc........ there are good and bad coaches...... IF your son really wants to play, investigate the program and the coach..... find out what they are all about. Go talk to the coach and see what his philosophy about the game is. IF he is all about winning... move on.... your son is 9, he should be learning something about the game and having FUN.

AND, if this guy is into teaching zone defense.. move on... your son would have more fun and maybe learn more playing in the park with his friends and playing m2m Defense JMO

Your idea regarding coaching a team with your son and his friends might be better IF the aau coach's philosophy is NOT what you like.