All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 16:50 

Hello breakthrough basketball coaches, Im just writing, because I have some questions on how to do the spin dribble move, and how to shoot an underhand layup. I was searching for a video, on how to do these moves on your website, and youtube, but I couldn't find it. If you make a youtube video, or post a page on your website showing how to do these moves, that would be great. Also when shooting off the dribble how do you pick up the basketball when you bring it to your shot pocket?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 15:16 
Site Admin

We rarely "teach" the spin move except maybe as a finishing move. I couldn't find it on our site either but it is taught in the Huber Finishing Moves DVD.

It's mainly footwork... a drop step and then you pull the ball with you. Easier to explain in person.

When shooting off the dribble, we usually keep it simple. Players should bring the ball to their "shot pocket". Players generally figure that out on their own. The shot pocket is that starting position where you bring the ball before every shot... whether it's catch and shoot or off the dribble. We think you should always bring the ball to your shot pocket.

There are drills like this that help with ball pick up skills...
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/training/dribble-quick-shot.html

If your shot pocket is on right side of your body and you're dribble with left hand... on the last dribble your left hand brings the ball to the right side of your body in your shot pocket. If dribbling with right hand, the right hand bring it into the pocket. Again, players generally figure out how to do this on their own.... just instruct them to bring the ball to their shot pocket and things work out naturally.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 20:43 

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. So in order to excite the spin dribble move you just do a dropstep and bring the ball to the other hand? I know how you guys teach the move as a finishing move, but I wanted to know as a dribble attack move.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2020, 09:49 
Site Admin

We don't teach it as a dribble attack move too often because it can be susceptible to the steal from a defender behind you and you also lose vision of the court briefly when using the spin dribble move.

With that said, I don't have a problem with players using it. We just don't spend much time on the move.

If you dribble to the right....

- you use your right hand to pull the ball as you spin. To make this work you usually have to dribble the ball hard on your last dribble before you spin... it's almost a carry if you watch in slow motion... but you obviously want to be careful about carrying it.

- for the footwork, it's just a drop step. Your left foot is your pivot foot (planted) and your right foot is your swing foot.