All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 14:14 

Hi. I am coaching a 4th grade rec girls team. I’m all in on teaching fundamentals every practice and for at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the 60 minutes. I struggle a bit with how to frame the rest of practice. But more specifically the “small sided games” portion. Is that simply dividing up into 1v1,2v2, 3v3 and scrimmaging or is there more to it than that?

I want those skills to translate and I’ve read here where small games can help with that. Can you elaborate some on what that looks like?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 15:07 
Site Admin

At 4th grade level, depending on the how much experience they have, I might progress to (or mix in) small sided games like this...

1v1 full court to work on dribbling skills, agility, and 1v1 defensive principles

3v2 or 3v1 full court no dribble to work on passing skills, decision making, cutting, spacing, pivoting, and protecting the ball (or you could do half court keep away)

Might run some shell drill to teach defensive principles.

Might play some small sided games like 3v3 to teach pass and cut principles and reinforce defense.

Then play 4v4 of 5v5 to put it all together work on everything (offense, defense, and skills).

There are hundreds of different ways to structure things. That is just one example.

Every game you play whether it's 1v1 or 5v5... the rules and constraints can be modified to make things easier, harder, adjust what you are working on, etc. This is a great DVD that explains how to adjust rules and what not:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/sanderson-game-based.html

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 15:19 

Thank you, Jeff. Good ideas. I think I've just been overthinking with a little paralysis by analysis. Trying to find the "perfect" combination to help learning. They are 4th grade rec players after all and I have two that have never played. I will try these to finish out practice. Thanks for the response - Cam