All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 15:07 

I am coaching 2 teams of middle school girls. I have coached for 20 years now and am doing 7th & 8th grade. Over the last 2 years my girls are missing at least 20-25 lay-ups a game. They are missing them on both sides of the basket and are wide open shots with very little defense on them. I have tried the George Mican lay-up drills, jump stops, etc. They are typically leaving the ball too hard and sometimes too soft off that backboard. But just can't get the girls to consistantly make their lay-ups. I would appreciate any input on drills and/or fundamentally how to explain this too them for a fresh new approach.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 16:48 

I coached girls for one year ( my last year as a high school coach ) I went from teaching the standard "Off one foot lay up " to coming to a jump stop and putting it in.
We talked about putting the ball up into the high part of the box and imagining that there were a dozen eggs up there. Give them a frame or reference and they might have better luck making those shots.
After that... its practice - practice - practice.
Keep encouraging them.

Ken

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 11:42 

Coach, I feel your pain.....

I coach 8th grade girls in travel and AAU programs and I am amazed at the number of layups they miss during games. Most times they are rushing the shot, take eyes off rim or they do not slow down on last step.

Anyway, I tell the girls, when speed dribbling for layup that they have to slow down on their last step. That last step should go up, NOT forward.
This is why so many players end up out of bounds past the baseline after a speed layup, their motion to still going forward instead of going up on their last step. When this happens the ball bounces hard off the backboard as many coaches see.
Also stress a soft release...."kiss" it off the backboard.
One more tip, make sure your players are taking a good angle for a layup, 45 degrees is optimum.

Watch their eyes as they go up, keep eyes on rim. Some girls will look down one last time as they move ball from dribble to layup.

Good Luck...

Coach A

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 10:02 

Thank-you very much for the input. I have been emphasizing the slowing down on their last step and going up towards the net not out towards base line but didn't think to watch their eyes. I bet that is exactly it as they are getting ready to go up for that last shot they are looking down one last time before going up.

Thanks again for the help and input.