All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 11:08 

Hey coach, I have a question. I'm coaching 5th grade girls little dribblers and was wondering what is the simplest, yet effective press break you teach this age. We are only pressed in little dribblers the last couple of minutes of the game, but when we play in East Texas Hoops, they can press the entire game, which I absolutely hate at this age. But I still want to be prepared for it when it is in my face. Please keep in mind that most of these girls I'm coaching I've only been playing for a year under me. And the other half will have never touched the ball when I get them in practice this little dribbler season.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 15:34 

I'm with you, bummer to see the presses at this young age. Smart on your part to be prepared.

It appears you have a bit of a challenge on your hands with half the team being new players. Is this league more of a rec league or are club teams playing? The reason I'm asking is that you have players who haven't played basketball facing a potential press. Trying to get a feel for what type of league this is in terms of skill level and how it's promoted.

One of the best ways to learn how to break a press is play against one in practice. You almost have to teach a press and let your kids play against each other. Slow it down and explain a few fundamentals. Emphasize the trapping zones, proper spacing (a key) and what the other team is trying to do. In its purest form, a press is trying to get you to panic and create a turnover. The other team is trying to shorten the court, your job is to lengthen the court and make it harder for them to cover a larger area (spacing). Having your players understand what the other team is trying to accomplish will help, particularly if they've been practicing a press.

Spacing is a huge component of beating a press in creating "holes" and "gaps" on the court and making the defense cover a larger area. If your players end up all bunched together, it's too easy for a press to shut that down. Just some food for thought. Even if a press breaker starts out a bit bunched up, the spacing after that is important.

I'd recommend scrimmaging for 10 min each practice with no dribbles allowed. This forces players to move to get open. I'd also apply some pressure in the scrimmage with a time limit on passes, so a player doesn't hang on to the ball for too long (3-5 seconds).

Regarding actual "press breakers," I can list a few from the site that have worked for me. However, they are only as good as your team's fundamental skills on the court. I'm more in the camp of your players seeing the bigger picture about the press vs. having the silver bullet press breaker.

3 up is one that works well
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/play.asp?id=2118

line
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/plays/linepressbreaker.html