All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 12:02 

We had our first game Saturday and lost a close one (9 years olds) but really got killed on the boards. Anybody know some simple rebounding drills for this age group? I think taps might be too much for this age.

Also, at the beginning of the game, is there an easier was to explain to them which man to guard? I told them, if you're playing forward, guard their forward, center, point etc.

Thanks everyone!!

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 12:44 

There is a pretty good rebounding drill for this age group listed under "basketball drills" to the left, it's called "fight for it". It's a lot of fun and the kids love it, although I'm not really sure how well you can coach this age as far as rebounding goes. Some kids are animals and want the ball, other ones just look at it.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 12:59 

Also I can't recall if I saw it here or somewhere else but there's a neat drill that focuses on teamwork and picking up a man where you line 3 kids up in the paint, assign them numbers (1,2, or3) and space 3 kids allong the 3 point line. Throw the ball in to one of the kids on the 3 pt line and call a number. If you call "1" then the 1 kid goes to the ball, while kids 2 and 3 are left to pick up the other two, unguarded players. I haven't tried this drill yet but planned to, if you decide to try it let me know how it goes.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 14:24 

Hey Hootch,
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've seen that drill and I plan on using that next practice. I'm also going to use an incentive program like basketball cards to the 2 highest rebounders per game.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 14:27 

I'm coaching 11/12 y/o's and still have to explain to some of them who to guard. Rather than saying to "if you are a forward, guard a forward", I tell them to call out which # they are guarding. If I see any mismatches, I'll call out the switches I want them to make.

2010-11 3rd/4th/5th Grade Boys - CYO - Novice 1 Level
2009-10 5th/6th Grade Boys - CYO - Intermediate 2 Level
2008-09 4th/5th Grade Boys - CYO - Novice 1 Level

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 15:08 

[quote="rookie"]Hey Hootch,
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've seen that drill and I plan on using that next practice. I'm also going to use an incentive program like basketball cards to the 2 highest rebounders per game.[/quote]

The only thing I would try to keep in mind is not every kid is going to be on the high rebounders list. So some kids will never get a reward unless you make sure they get one. I like the reward system but you have to create some catergories where you can declair a winner without the kids calling bs, such as "best effort", "heads up play", or "sportsmanship". If you're going with a reward system at this age make sure each kid earns a reward at some point.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 15:10 

Rebounding is about aggressiveness, anticipation and desire.

A good fun drill for that age that teaches them aggressivness and anticipation is called Hell in the Well. Unfortunately the "desire" part of rebounding is difficult to teach....they gotta WANT to rebound.

All players in paint. Coach or coaches are around perimeter taking random shots. Boys must battle each other for rebound. First player to get 3 rebounds takes a break and shoots free throws at other hoop. As players get their 3rd rebound they are removed from the game...soon there will be the final 2 players left battling for that last rebound. Last player left in "The Well" runs sprints.
Any rebound that bounces outside of paint does not count, do-over. Kids love this drill....repeat every practice and it will toughen them up.

Coaches must shoot both short and long range shots from all areas.

Prior to this drill explain about positioning and anticipation i.e that 70% of missed shots go to weakside, missed shots that are taken 45 degrees on one side of hoop will probably come off 45 degrees off other side(weak side). Short shots=short rebounds, long shots=long rebounds. Straight on misses from foul line or top of key usually come back toward shooter.

Lastly, end your practice with a scrimmage that has these rules: 1 point for every basket, 2 points for every rebound. Keep track of score and tell each team that losing team runs suicides....that will motivate them to rebound!!

Good Luck

Have Fun

Coach A

As for guarding....tell them to match up...guard someone of similar size. You make adjustments and change assignments if there are mismatches during the game.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 15:38 

I like those ideas, aside from the running part. Personally I think running should be for conditioning and not to be disguised as punative action.

My opinion, could be wrong.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 15:54 

We play the Defensive Challenge game found in the drills section under defense. Works well because only team that can score pts is defense.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 16:11 

My kids really like that drill coachrob.