All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 08:08 

I have enjoyed reading your website for tips and information on coaching youth players. I just ordered the Bigelow dvd and look forward to watching those. My question...

I have entered my first year of coaching my daughters third grade team. I agree with your opinions about using 8 rims and smaller balls at this age. Unfortunately our league begins playing with 28.5 balls and 10 foot rims starting in the 3rd grade. (Crazy I know!). My first practice we focused on ball handling, passing, lay ups, and fun! It went well . I'm now concerned about the next practice because I'd like to work on their shooting technique.

However, their ability to get it the goal is a challenge obviously. What I observed on layups were a few that could get it there with moderate effort, a few using MAX effort and some not even close. We also did "knockout" for fun at the end, seeing similar results as layups. Knowing these limitations but being confined to the league rules, what would you suggest on teaching shooting skills.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for the content of this website. I noticed from the comments they were several years old so not sure if you are still checking email responses or not. Hopefully so! Thanks again .... Cam

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 06:39 
Site Admin

Coach - We had the same issue with my daughters team when they were in 3rd grade. They are now in 8th.

I just spent most of my time teaching ballhandling, footwork ,defense, and having fun. When we practicing shooting, it was often away from the basket and just trying to teach them to get some back spin on the ball, hold follow through, and just real basic technique.

We played a lot of small sided passing and dribbling games. And we played a lot of 3v3. We only played in two tournaments and we invited teams to play us 3v3 in our own gym and own rules.

Teaching lay ups at this age is tough. You lower baskets and teach the best you can. Sometimes it's a troubleshooting process trying to figure out what works with those particular kids.

I just taught fundamentals the right way and if we lost as a result... I did not care. We did however win some as a byproduct of us teaching effort, defense, and basic fundamental skills.

I wrote a blog post about it here:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/haefner/coaching-youth-basketball-what-we-did-with-our-3rd-grade-team-and-ideas-that-might-help-you/