All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 16:40 

Hi all,

My daughter has been playing Championship (Representative) basketball for the last yr.

The club are about to open up registration for trials for 2019 Championship session.

What do they focus on this time round? Is it the players stats for the season just gone, performance at trials, Coaches feedback? Or all of it??

My daughter scores pretty much every game. She doesn't foul much. Her coach would like to see her foul a little more. So by stats, she is not the top scorer nor the lowest scorer. Low on fouls though.

Thanks

Bball2008

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 13:28 

I remember your daughter, I believe she was 9 playing up in two leagues, correct? You asked about dribbling confidence?

The tryouts (trials) can vary from league to league and coach to coach. Overall, I'd say they'll be looking at how she does in the tryouts mainly. Stats and recommendations from other coaches usually put a player as "one to watch" during the tryouts. That player still has to perform during the tryouts though, regardless of prior year's stats or a coach's recommendation.

My recommendation is to keep things calm and relaxed going into the tryouts. Encouraging her as she prepares by building her confidence. Tryouts are not the time to "try something new" to impress the coaches.

If she has good fundamentals, coaches will be looking at her overall attitude and hustle. Does she sprint on and off the court? Does she sprint to the coach when called into a huddle? Is she going for loose balls? Can she stop her player on defense? Is she focused on looking at the coach's eyes when they're talking? Can she follow directions? Is she hungry to be there and getting after it? This usually helps if a player misses a few shots or makes a few mistakes.

I think you mentioned last time that you realize she's only 9. You're the parent, but just keep that in mind as you go through this process.

Hope this helps and good luck!

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018, 20:55 

Hi Coach Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that is my daughter - she turns 10 in a couple of weeks. Try-outs will occur in October. she will be 'upper age' for the under 12s for 2019 season.

I posted the question as my daughter asked me this herself and wasn't 100% sure.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, the one thing that is hesitates on is her dribbling. I find if she takes off immediately and dribbles down the court she can make it to the ring. It is when she hesitates of that 1 second, she gets stuck.

She is very keen to get on a team for next year, so no doubt will give it her all at try-outs.

Thanks again

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 13:23 

When you say, "if she takes off immediately and dribbles down the court she can make it to the ring" are you talking about the entire length of the court or half court?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 19:30 

Anywhere on the court really . Whether it's a rebound from the oppositions goal or outside the key at her goal end. Obviously she doesn't always make It if is blocked, etc.

She is getting more confident on her crossover dribbling, etc.

If she intercepts the ball or it is passed to her, if she can dribble and does this without hesitation, she can do it. If that makes sense.

She was at training the other day and took a couple of bounces without moving. then stopped. She hesitated. They were playing a game and her team mates were all over her and she lost the ball.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 14:26 

Appreciate the clarification. The reason I'm asking is, does she know when to dribble? Sounds like a goofy question, but a lot of younger players dribble without a purpose. Maybe she get's in trouble when dribbling without a purpose. No clue, but I see a lot of younger players just dribbling to dribble.

When you say she took a couple of bounces, then hesitated and stopped, as the opposing coach we call that "dead". We yell "dead" on the court which means exactly what you saw. It's a signal that a player has used their dribble and picked it up giving us an opportunity to pressure them.

Here are a few of the main reasons to dribble:
- bring the ball up court
- trying to score (drive to the basket or get closer for a better shot)
- get a better angle for passing

In terms of becoming more confident with her dribbling, working with a private coach for a few sessions can work wonders. It helps to get specific pointers and drills from someone like that, not to mention the encouragement. If that's not an option, there are plenty of dribbling drills on youtube (e.g. two ball drills, full court drills, etc.). If she puts the work in, she will definitely improve.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2018, 17:35 

Thanks for your reply Coach Rob.

My daughter has been practicing a lot. All led by her.

First try-out session this coming Sunday - 8 October.

We have mainly been practicing her dribbling and fast lay ups. She has been doing a lot of shooting. She can now shoot 3-pointers and is very proud of herself.

A few years ago I taught her how to do a lay up properly. I had her really slow it down as she learnt how to do a lay up, so she got the number steps and technic right. Her coach told her that her lay up is perfect....thing is she tends to do this in slow motion. We are now practicing on speed and doing a fast lay up. She's getting there. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think how much you put into the try-out is based on her mindset and determination. Someone who goes into try-outs wanting to get into the number 1 or 2 team will perform harder at try-outs than someone who just wants to try-out and get into one of the teams.

Having said that, I suspect the coaches have already put together some of the teams and try-outs are just going through the process for the new players who have never tried out before. The club held some sessions last month for existing players. They indicated in the email that these sessions have nothing to do with the actual try-outs but when they stand there with paper and pen and writing down things and talking amongst themselves...I suspect it was getting at least the two top teams allocated prior to try-outs. My daughter was able to attend one of these sessions which she performed well at.

Thanks for your replies. It's been very helpful - I really appreciate it!

Bball 2008 :)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2018, 10:15 

This sounds very encouraging, "All led by her." That's probably the number one thing that will give a young player a huge advantage as they go along. If she has her own motivation to get better, you're a long way down the tracks.

Yes, mindset and determination are big factors during a tryout. Sprinting off and on the court, paying attention to directions, and overall hustle can go a long way.

Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2018, 22:38 

Thanks Coach Rob.

Yes,I never have to suggest her to practice. If she ever needs me to defend her or some help, she'll ask.

She is excited and nervous about Sunday.

She told me she'll be upset if she got into Team 4, team 5 or team 6. That's when I said to her, she needs to think about what team she wants to get into (ie. Team 2) and trial with that mindset. Hence, the reason for my comments about mindset and determination.

I'll pass on your comments about sprinting on and off the court, paying attention, and overall hustle.

Thanks again.

I'll post back later and let you know how she goes Sunday at the 1st try outs.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 17:14 

Hi,

Just to give you an update. My daughter had her first try-out yesterday afternoon.

She did well. She was nervous as we were walking in but settled once she got into it. they had time to do some casual shooting before it started, so I think this gave her the time to settle her nerves and warm up, etc.

But most importantly, she walked away feeling happy. She feels she did well with all her drills, especially the 3-on-3 drills.

Next try-out session this coming weekend.

Also, I've realised I've posted in the wrong section. Please move my thread to 'parents' if you need to.

Thanks,
Bball2008