All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 09:28 

I am a coach of a junior under 14 boys district team. My son plays in this team and has gained a bad habit all of a sudden. He used to be a nice straight shooter but now has created a two hand shooting style. He does make shots from the 45 but when it comes to free throws i am afraid we are in trouble. His last game he went to the line 12 times and made only 2 shots. He drives to bucket well and draws many fouls but can not convert. He is 10 years old and takes on the older kids well. I am trying several things one of them lying down and back spin back to himself. If you have any suggestions i would really appreciate it thanks.
Regards Michael.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 10:00 

It's amazing how 'bad habits' can all of sudden show up! Developmentally, your son is still progressing and in that stage, it is easy to see things 'change' - - and not always for the better. Shooting is a fickle, fickle skill - - - not because of the physical motion, but the mental approach. A lot of times, placing 2 hands on the ball to shoot becomes a 'placement' shooting-style, instead of a flow. For example, the baseball pitcher that tries to place the ball in the right spot will typically hit the backstop....basketball shooting can be similar. From a physical standpoint (and mental), I think your son needs reps....5 feet from the basket reps. His first 5 minutes in the gym should be 1 handed form shooting - assuming he is developed enough to shoot it 1 handed without comprising form. Have him go 'around the world' and try not to hit rim - really focusing on form and the rim.

It sounds like your on the right track - don't let him overthink it, just have fun and shoot the darn thing!Sometimes our head can get in the way of our body.....

Best of luck and let us know how he is progressing!
In hoops,

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 10:36 
Site Admin

To add to the great advice mentioned by Coach Hoyt, I would highly advise to shoot away from the basket at the beginning of each training session. I like to do wall shooting or line shooting.

The reason I like to do this is that too many kids only care about the end result meaning that they don't care how they shoot as long as they make it and if they are missing more shots right away with the new GOOD form, they go back to the old habits of using the bad form. Even though, you and I know that by using the good form, the player will be better in the long-run.

This is especially important with ten year olds, because it is very difficult for them to shoot at a 10 foot hoop with a big ball because they are weak. That could be why your son is shooting with two hands. I strongly encourage smaller balls and lower rims for that age level.

So if you practice the form away from the hoop and then come to the basket once you see improvement. The player is more likely to see success with the new form which is vital to convincing the player he or she should use the new form. Even if the player doesn't have instant success, you need to explain to him that by using the old form, he might continue to make 2 out of 10 shots. When using hte new form, he might make 1 out of 10 the first week, but by the 2nd or 3rd week, he'll probably be making as many as before. by the 4th week and beyond, he'lll be making much more than with the original bad form.

You could also how him some clips of players that he likes and their good shooting form. It'd probably be really easy to find on youtube.

Here are some other helpful shooting articles on the website:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting/5-shooting-mistakes.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting/youth-shooting-adjustments.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/beginner-shooting-progressions-for-all-ages/

You can find more on our shooting main page:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting.html

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 22:11 

I did this with a few shooters that had the problem with too much OFF hand on the ball.

I put them near a wall... NO basket... one hand to begin with... one dribble, bring the ball up to the shooting spot with the elbow under the ball... shoot the ball off the wall with good are extension paying attention to the form.

Then I allowed him to have his off hand near the ball but not touching it and going thru the same procedure....

The last step was to allow the off hand on the ball as a GUIDE hand ... NOT helping the shot.

He can do this at home for 15 minutes a day ... until he gets this into a muscle memory ... this does work IF he is willing to spend the time...

All the other advice you have gotten his is excellent... but use this before you to their steps.

Good luck,
Ken

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 08:09 
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification, Coach Sars. I explained why it's so important for them to NOT shoot at the basket when fixing the form that I forgot to explain what to do in the Wall Shooting and Line Shooting.

For the wall shooting, I do the exact same progression as Coach Sars. You may not even want to incorporate the legs at first. Once, they get the upper body motion down. I have them incorporate their legs.

For line shooting:
- Just pick a line on the basketball court. Lane line, baseline, sideline, half court line, volleyball lines, pretty much any line that is straight.

- Have the player line up with the line, so they are shooting with the line.

- Their goal is to hit the line on every shot.

This encourages them to shoot a straight shot and it takes the basket away, so they aren't worrying whether the ball goes in the hoop.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 05:02 

Thanks all for the advice. We have already started with the one hand shooting. I keep trying to reinforce that the elbow should be straight and in line with the front of the basket we will start without the basket as you have all suggested. I also have heard of players keeping focused on the bolts at the back of the ring when shooting don't know if that helps or not or if it's up to the individual.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 07:38 
Site Admin

That's great, Michael. I'm glad to hear that we could help. Remember, to stay patient and be persistent. Most coaches give up after a few days, because it can be frustrating when you don't see immediate results. I've been guilty of this in the past.

As for focusing on the rim, I've heard a few different things. Focus on the front of the rim and the back of the rim are the two most common ones I've heard. I've always focused on the front of the rim, but guess what. I probably miss 75% to 80% of my shots short. Michael Jordan focused on the back of the rim.

As for focusing on the little net or rink holders, I've heard that as well. It's suppose to make you extremely focused on the rim and enhance your accuracy is what they say.

I've also heard Don Kelbick say that he believes shooting is more of a kinesthetic skill. It's more of a feeling and he believes you should be able to shoot with your eyes closed. In one of our recent blog posts, he also mentioned, "To be more traditional, why not aim for the hole? Isn’t that where you want the ball to go?

Here is the blog article: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/basketball-shooting-tips-what-part-of-the-rim-to-focus-on-the-guide-hand/

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 08:08 

I used to use just over the front of the rim as my target.. the hole?

As for shooting with your eyes closed.. I agree... from the free throw line its easier.... towards the end of our shooting camps we had eyes closed free throw shooting contests ..... ( I got pretty good at this )

One of our Varsity girls was always one of the finalists.. its all about concentration / muscle memory and "seeing" the ball go in the basket. Try this yourself.... it will take a few shots before you become comfortable.. but after awhile its like second nature.

"Keep your sense of humor. There's enough stress in the rest of your life
to let bad shots ruin a game you're supposed to enjoy."
Amy Alcott

Ken

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 14:44 

Shooting from a chair is the single best breakdown drill for developing both 3-point shooting range and free throw shooting. The objectives of shooting from a chair include the following:

Develop confidence in 3-point shooting and free throw shooting
Foster consistency in lift­ing the ball to the basket and holding your follow-through until the ball reaches the net
Learn to focus on correcting a specific error

Center yourself both mentally and physically. Learn to center when sitting in the chair. When you are physically centered, you are in a state of readiness; your muscles relax and you breathe a little deeper and more slowly than usual. Being physically centered also involves balancing your weight evenly for the skill you will be perform­ing, which is particularly helpful for gaining power. When you are physically centered it helps you become mentally centered. When you are centered you are more alert, focused and confident. Centering allows you to raise your center of gravity and transfer your force from back to shoulders to generate full power for the shot.

Visualize a successful shot with good form before you shoot. Work for the sequential build-up of force from your back, shoulders, arm, wrist, and fingers as you shoot. Use feedback from the feel of the shot and its distance, direction, and reaction on the rim.

Correct a shooting error by using personalized key words. Say the words with confidence and rhythm from the start of your shot to release of the ball. Examples of correcting errors with suggested key words follow:

Correct a shot that is short by emphasizing the key word "through!" This triggers holding your follow-through until the ball reaches the net.
Correct a shot that is long by emphasizing the key word "up!" This triggers lifting your shooting hand up higher to put more arc on your shot.
Correct bringing the ball back or leaning back and throwing it rather than lifting it to the basket, by using the key word "front!" This triggers your head, shoulders and shooting hand going to the rim.
Correct misses to your weak-hand side of the rim, because you are lowering and shoving the ball, use the key words "high and straight!" This triggers setting the ball high and shooting straight.
Correct misses to your strong-hand side of the rim, because your elbow is out by using the key word "in!" This triggers keeping your elbow in.
Correct rotating the shooting hand sidewards causing sidespin by using the key word "straight!" This triggers starting with your shooting hand facing straight at the basket and your hand going straight on your follow-through.

Set the chair nine feet in front of the basket (two giant steps in front of the free throw line). Sit on the front edge of the chair with your shoulders front, your feet aligned with the legs of the chair and your toes straight.
Start with your shooting hand facing the front of the rim while keeping your elbow in as far as your flexibility allows. Your shooting hand is above your shoulder between your ear and shoulder. Important note: Use your non-shooting hand to place the ball in your shooting hand. Do not reach for the ball with your shooting hand. The index finger of your shooting hand should be at the ball's midpoint. Check that your forearm is at a right angle to the floor and that it forms an L with your upper arm. This position helps you lift the ball to the basket rather than lower it or throw it.
After making five consecutive shots 9 feet from the backboard, move the chair back until you are 12 feet from the backboard. If you begin to strain when you increase the distance, use a sequential buildup of force using the key words "back-front-through!" The word "back" triggers lifting your back muscles toward the rim. The word "front" triggers your shoulders going toward the rim. The word "through!" triggers a complete follow-through until the ball reaches the net.
After making five consecutive shots from 12 feet, move the chair back until you are 15 feet from the backboard (free throw distance). After making five consecutive shots 15 feet from the backboard (free throw distance), move the chair back until you are 18 feet from the backboard. After making five consecutive shots from 18 feet, move the chair back until you are 21 feet from the backboard (or 3-pt. distance).

To see a video of this drill visit:
http://www.coachwissel.com/basketball-video-clips/shooting/shooting-from-a-chair-drill.html