All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 11:24 

Coaching a 5th/6th Girls team. I have 2 players that have quick feet and fair dribbling skills. However, they are on the taller side and when either one sees an opening they move into the paint, with good intentions, but cant slow down enough ending up either bouncing it off feet, knocking down players in their way or just losing the ball (almost out of control).
Any footwork/Ball handling drills or suggestions that could help and are fun for that 10-12 age?
Also, any suggestions for those players who freeze when they get the ball...
Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 11:38 
Site Admin

For the first question, it depends. Why are they losing the ball and/or getting out of control? Is it because their eyes are down, they lack coordination, they are driving into too much traffic and making bad decisions, are they not quite good enough with the ball yet?

My guess is that they need more skill with the ball and their eyes are down. But it certainly could be a combination of all those things.

I recommend 1v1 half and full court to keep developing confidence and skill with the ball. You can add lots of rules and change the environment to get them working on certain things like weak hand dribbling, getting eyes up, retreating out of trouble, etc.

I'm guessing they will also benefit by practicing retreat dribbles... this gives them a solution when the defense collapses and there is no longer space for the dribble.

Then 2v2, 3v3, and just more experience will help them make better decisions, keep eyes up, and avoid those turnovers.

As far as what to do when players freeze, I'll ask the same question... why are they freezing? Is it because of poor ballhandling skiills that results in lack of confidence? Are they unsure what to do? Do you scrimmage or play any game based drills in practice to get them more comfortable? Are they scared to make mistakes and do you need to change your coaching style? Is your offense too complicated?

Some food for thought. If you have more questions, just let us know.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 11:46 

Jeff, thank you for your quick response.
Good things to look into.
The Eyes up suggestion is probably the biggest problem. Thank you again.
I will start with some retreat drill.

JeffHaefner wrote:
For the first question, it depends. Why are they losing the ball and/or getting out of control? Is it because their eyes are down, they lack coordination, they are driving into too much traffic and making bad decisions, are they not quite good enough with the ball yet?

My guess is that they need more skill with the ball and their eyes are down. But it certainly could be a combination of all those things.

I recommend 1v1 half and full court to keep developing confidence and skill with the ball. You can add lots of rules and change the environment to get them working on certain things like weak hand dribbling, getting eyes up, retreating out of trouble, etc.

I'm guessing they will also benefit by practicing retreat dribbles... this gives them a solution when the defense collapses and there is no longer space for the dribble.

Then 2v2, 3v3, and just more experience will help them make better decisions, keep eyes up, and avoid those turnovers.

As far as what to do when players freeze, I'll ask the same question... why are they freezing? Is it because of poor ballhandling skiills that results in lack of confidence? Are they unsure what to do? Do you scrimmage or play any game based drills in practice to get them more comfortable? Are they scared to make mistakes and do you need to change your coaching style? Is your offense too complicated?

Some food for thought. If you have more questions, just let us know.