All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 21:42 

My son drives me crazy. He has a awesome offensive players he average 20 pts a game, but plays no defense and looks lost on defense . He is a great shooter, the coaches go to guy if he needs points. I have always coached him but now he being coached by another guy who is a much better coach than I am. He is doing great on the team get lots of playing time. A lot of the plays are to get him open to put in the 3 pts. He just does not play defense he is fast, good at dribbling and rebounds well. He is very aggressive on offense but nothing on defense. I talked to his coach about it. He acts like he is not worried about he says he is a shooter and that's what he uses him for. It just bothers me that he does not play defense. Is there anything I can do to help improve his defense.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 17:17 

You know the old saying, offense wins games but defense wins championships. I believe defense is a lot about attitude. It's tough to play defense, you aren't touching the ball as much and getting a chance to score like you are on offense. Furthermore, offense is rewarded more with cheers from the crowd, so at a young age players are conditioned that scoring baskets equals kudos. You rarely hear parents comment about how well someone defended their opponent.

To be straight up, the coach should be the one that is the motivator here. If he doesn't seem that concerned about your son's defense, your son will pick up on that. Just like anything that involves coaching, what is celebrated and emphasized is what a team is going to focus on.

You could try praising his defensive efforts you see on the court after a practice or a game. Some of the other coaches on here might have more practical suggestions.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 22:30 

How old is your boy? How is his defense now?

I can tell you, one of the reasons you see so many junk defenses, zones and swarming defenses is that proper man to man is hard to teach and takes time to learn. It requires a commitment on the part of the coach and kids have to buy in as well. If he plays club ball, AAU or summer ball, look for a club that will force him to learn how to play man to man D. If he can score the ball, he can learn how to play D.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 00:31 

Coach: How does the rest of this team view your son? If I were a teammate, and the coach said it was ok to just shoot and not play defense, I would be a little miffed. There are players like that in the NBA, all offense and weak defensively, however, your son is not in the NBA....or is he.... To be honest, I wont play a one way player, I pride myself on my ability to teach defense especially man to man. It was mentioned in a previous post, by I think Coach Rob that defense wins championships...and he is so correct. Many coaches dont know how to teach man to man so they opt for the easy way out which is zone..Here in China, I win many games because the coaches are so predictable...rarely do I see a man to man, but I do see tons of 2-3 zones. and that makes my coaching much easier. You say this coach of your sons is a better coach than you, I dont know what kind of a coach you were, but any coach that allows a player to slide on a very important component of the game is not a good coach. Have your son watch Kwami Brown of the Spurs, great offensively, but greater and more valuable on defense. If your son wants to reach the next level, he needs to learn to play defense. Merry Christmas Coach Mac.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 12:56 

this is no longer a issue with him. he is one of the best defense players on his AAU team and i dont coach that team. last year i coached his rec team we played m2m and did a lot of 1v1 drills. he can play man 2 man or zone now. my opinion the 1vs1 drill had the most improvement for him. he use to be a player that patrolled the 3 pt line to get open and fire in 3s. this year i dont think he has took but a few 3s, all his points came for driving to the basket.